Smoked my first Spatchcocked Turkey....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Crispy skin, i fire up the bbq 15 mins before bird(s) come out of smoker. Slap those spatchys skin side down and bam! crispy with a little char flavor.

Crispy skin, i fire up the bbq 15 mins before bird(s) come out of smoker. Slap those spatchys skin side down and bam! crispy with a little char flavor.
Sounds good....  I'll give it a try.  Gas Grill on High, I assume......

Richie

All natural birds, especially wild birds, but also farm raised, can be a bit tough. This is one of the only types of poultry that I will brine prior to smoking. You may want to give that a try on your next natural bird. We buy non-enhanced natural birds and I always brine them. If we do get a Butterball or other brand that is enhanced I won't brine. Typically we brine for 12-18 hours. I use a simple brine of salt sugar, apple juice, water, oranges, cloves, pepper corns.  Rinse the bird, then let it air dry in the fridge for 8 hours. If the skin isn't dry at that point I will hit it with the hair dryer right before putting it in the smoker. Drying the skin is critical for crisping the skin up. As stated above I cook all my poultry at higher temps.
Why don't you brine the store bought turkey? I'm going to try my first turkey this thanksgiving.

Most store bought turkeys are pre injected with liquids that make them seem juicier than Natural Birds....  It will say what it's injected with on the labels....   Like a Butterball might say "up to 8 percent solution of water, salt, spices.".... So no need to further brine them....

Richie

Not too high a temp on that gas grill Richie.
Don't need to burn that skin. Just a stripe or two and crisp it up. It goes fast believe me. Enjoy that bird!

Not too high a temp on that gas grill Richie.
Don't need to burn that skin. Just a stripe or two and crisp it up. It goes fast believe me. Enjoy that bird!
Thanks again....  Have a great Thanksgiving....  Full report on the results post Thanksgiving....

Richie

Are than any store bought turkey's that are better to use if you want t o brine the turkey?

Are than any store bought turkey's that are better to use if you want t o brine the turkey?

If you want to brine a bird, buy a non-enhanced bird or non-enhanced Organic bird, or a free range bird. Read the packaging it will let you know if it's enhanced...

Thanks again....  Have a great Thanksgiving....  Full report on the results post Thanksgiving....

Richie
Spatchcocked, Brined in the Apple Juice Recipe 16 Hours, Washed, Air Dried for about 4 Hours in the Fridge, On at 250 or so for an hour, (Bigger bird on the bottom, smaller one on the shelf) cranked it up to 330 and pulled at 160, tented for 20 minutes and carved.  They were amazing!  One was a 16 Lb Bird and the other about 14.5 Pounds.  Both were done a just about the same time....  They're all coming back next year!  Guess they liked them too...  :-)

Reactions: papacurtis
is t

For a 14 pound bird I usually make a double batch

1 1/2 cups, Kosher salt
1 1/4 cups, brown sugar
10 whole cloves
3 teaspoons, black peppercorns
1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) apple juice or cider (non-alcoholic)
3-4 whole oranges halved and squeezed into brine
[optional: 3 teaspoons, dried thyme and/or 3 teaspoons, dried sage]

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (partly covered). Allow brine to cool completely.

Rinse turkey under cool running water, inside and out (remove giblets from body cavity). Pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse turkey in cooled brine.* Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid).

Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove turkey, rinse. air dry for 8+ hours.

Use a food safe bucket or other non-reactive pot. or a mega jumbo plastic ziplock for brining.

is this a single recipe or is this the doubled version?

tia

happy turkey day

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky