Smoked Mushroom Soup!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you GMC! 🤣I always hated mushrooms, because of the texture and I thought they were soggy things that came in a can. In college a few of us were drunk at a country friend’s place one spring and he fried up some morels and other caps along with a bunch of other drinking food stuff and it blew my mind. I’ve liked them ever since. We’ll not the canned ones.But, I understand, thank you for the like!

College mushrooms, now that's a whole different cook altogether. :emoji_laughing:

Chris

WOW!
Nice pics. . .I'm drooling,
John
Thank you John! I think this would go great as a start for a Hunters stew.

We make mushroom soup all the time, but our’s doesn’t look as good as yours!
Thanks for posting the recipe!
Al
Thank you Al! That’s a big compliment from you! I hope you give it a go! I appreciate your time.

Funny you posted this. Last night the wife showed me a recipe for a mushroom soup. Gonna give yours a try with some smoked chicken. Nice work Jed
Thank you Jake! I appreciate the compliment. Cold smoking the shrooms adds a lot of great flavor. I had some grilled chicken to put in, but was actually very happy on its own. I hope you enjoy it!

Jed, that would be a hit around here for sure. Well, it would be a hit for everyone except my son-in-law :emoji_wink:, now you got me thinking...:emoji_laughing:
🤣 I get it! I really think this would be an awesome base with a lot of possibilities! But, it’s great on its own too!

College mushrooms, now that's a whole different cook altogether. :emoji_laughing:
Chris
9C7230AF-D958-4E36-AD50-C84B72DF17C0.png

Jed,
As the old Campbell's Soup commericals would say, "MMMM Good!"
We're mushroom fans here so your recipe is bookmarked.

Stu

Reactions: bauchjw
Outstanding!!
Love Shrooms!!
You really did a Great Job, Jed!
Like.
Bear
Thank you Bear! I take that as a high compliment. It was very tasty!

Jed , it sure looks great . I love a good bowl of soup , but I'm with Chris on the shrooms . I could slurp around them though . Nice work .
Haha, thank you! I appreciate it! Shrooms are big enough to slurp around!

Jed,
As the old Campbell's Soup commericals would say, "MMMM Good!"
We're mushroom fans here so your recipe is bookmarked.
M
Stu
Haha! Thank you Stu, I hope you enjoy it! Very appreciated.

I going to make this but have no chestnut mushrooms around here that I know of? Should I just use some brown ones?
I’m sure you can. I made up the chestnut on my own. The initial recipe I started from was only portabella so you would be fine just using those too. I hope it goes well, it’d be nice to have a third party confirmation!

Edit after more thought after responding to Gary:I think buttons are more subtle than chestnut and shiitake would probably be a better substitute

Last edited:
WOW!!! Does that ever look good, Jed. Mushroom soup has always been my favorite, but yours looks a whole bunch better than the canned stuff.
I'm like Brian--no chestnut shrooms. Do they add significantly to the taste, or will button shrooms work OK??
Gary
Thank you Gary! This is the first time I did this so I’m not really sure. The recipe had only portabella, but I have a local mushroom farmer that brings fun stuff to our farmers market and I put them in based off the flavor description. Since portabellas are so meaty and filled with umami I think it would compliment or overpower anything else in fungi additions. I think buttons would really just be for aesthetics and texture, the chustnuts I’m assuming, were much the same, but do not know for sure from one test and I don’t have a refined enough pallet to say off of one taste if they’re more nutty flavor came through. I think buttons are a little more subtle than chestnut and shiitake would probably be a better substitute.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
That looks delicious Jed! I bet it was packed with flavor! Could I borrow your mushroom guy?

Ryan

Wow Jed, no wonder why there are folks like Ryan following in your footsteps as a thread!

My wife, my son and I LOVE mushrooms… My daughter loves them but is allergic…. I feel bad for her cause she does love them! Anyway….

That being said, my friend this is one very nicely compiled thread! Those mushrooms look phenomenal and the meal top notch! Well done Jed! 👊🏼🍻

Wow Jed, no wonder why there are folks like Ryan following in your footsteps as a thread!

My wife, my son and I LOVE mushrooms… My daughter loves them but is allergic…. I feel bad for her cause she does love them! Anyway….

That being said, my friend this is one very nicely compiled thread! Those mushrooms look phenomenal and the meal top notch! Well done Jed! 👊🏼🍻
Thank you Justin! Very appreciated! I started getting into the mushrooms a lot more since I found these people at the farmers market. It’s been a whole different thing to get into and a lot of fun. Things like BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma with those mushroom grits are so mind blowing to me, lots of potential dishes!

If you guys are mushroom lovers then I definitely recommend a go! King Mushroom is the website, they have morels right now too!

Thank you Justin! Very appreciated! I started getting into the mushrooms a lot more since I found these people at the farmers market. It’s been a whole different thing to get into and a lot of fun. Things like BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma with those mushroom grits are so mind blowing to me, lots of potential dishes!

If you guys are mushroom lovers then I definitely recommend a go! King Mushroom is the website, they have morels right now too!
We had people selling mushrooms at farmers mart last year. maybe they be back. Thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky