Smoked Lake Trout and dip w/ q view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ctonello

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Well im glad Im a better smoker than fisherman because otherwise I would starve. So my friend caught a 6.5 lb lake trout yesterday (right beside me I might add) and I said Id smoke it for him. I brined it over night in 8 cups water 1 cup kosher salt and 1 cup brown sugar. I let it rest after for 2 hours to form the pellicle and rubbed more brown sugar into it after. Into the apple smoke at 190. 4 hours of smoke until IT of 145. It was delicious and I also used it to make the chive dip from Jeffs book (it calls for salmon but was delicious with trout). Eating the dip right now watching the super bowl. Enjoy the q view.
resuhyby.jpg

avazabyd.jpg

uduhygyh.jpg

Last edited:
I know a guy that make really awesome smoked fish. Usually lakers, rainbows, browns, and sometimes Kokanee. His brine is 1 quart of water, 1 cup of white sugar, 3/4 cup of salt, and 1 cup of cabernet. He claims that white sugar is better for fish than brown sugar, although brown sugar might be better for darker fish (salmon). He usually chops up an onion and puts that in the brine as well. Then smokes with apple usually, sometimes cherry or alder, for 6 hours at 160 degrees.

Don't let him know that I gave out his secret brine recipe. 
ROTF.gif

Just trying to share what I have heard. I haven't tried it both ways because I am waiting on my smoker to arrive and cruising around on here for ideas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky