Smoked jerk chicken w/ Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ctonello

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
I made some smoked jerk chicken today and it will be definitly one of my favourite things to make again it was delicious!

I started with 4 chicken quarters, added mustard and a store bought jerk rub and liberally coated all of it.
y3ybu8em.jpg

I let that sit while I got the smoker ready. Set the smoker to 240 and added applewood chips.
I put the chicken in and then comes the sauce.
This sauce is the best jerk sauce I have ever tasted and is very easy to make. I will post the recipe at the bottom.
vuqy5a8y.jpg

amyty9u8.jpg

When the chicken hit an IT of 155 I applied the sauce with a turkey baster and made sure to cover all the meat. I continued to smoke untill it hit an IT of 165 and pulled it off the smoker. Here is the final result:
vuhyda9u.jpg

It looks much darker on the picture but it was a perfect golden brown thick layer of sauce and it soaked in the smoke flavour very well.

You must try this jerk chicken you wont regret it! I will post the sauce recipe next.

The recipe is from Jamaice Travel and Tourism Website

Jerk chicken sauce recipe

Ingredients

6 sliced scotch bonnet peppers (jalapenos may be used if scotch bonnet peppers are unavailable)
2 Tbsp. thyme
2 Tbsp. ground allspice
8 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 Medium onions, finely chopped

2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tsp. ground black pepper

1 to 2 Tsp of the following (to taste)
-ground cinnamon
-nutmeg
-ginger

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
Juice of one lime
1 cup orange juice
1 cup white vinegar

I made a half batch of this sauce because I did not use it for marinade. Go easy on the peppers, I used 6 once and it was deadly hot. I like hot food and 3 or 4 peppers are my limit! Just throw all ingredients into a blender and the sauce is done.

It's kinda sad that, on a recent trip to Negril, I found that authentic jerk is being prepared in only a handful of outlets now. Mostly, at least in the case of chicken, the meat is just grilled and then jerk sauce is added when the meal is plated.

So, we'll keep up the tradition and maybe we can encourage the originators of the cooking style will get back on board.

Wow, nice lookin Q, that looks very tasty. Now wait til Foamheart gets here and y'all will probably have to mail him some... :laugh1: WHB

WOW!!!! that looks like something I can sink some teeth into.

I think this deserves an attempt. I have a simple question, as I have never tried to smoke chicken only barbeque it. My smoker really will only go to or should I say I don't want to run it over 225 degrees.....being that chicken is done at 160 (I think) does anyone think cooking this at the 225 till done would be an issue???

Those hot Scotch bonnet peppers are some of the hottest peppers around, see the wiki post.  

Scotch Bonnet, also known as Boabs BonnetScotty Bons,[sup][1][/sup]  Bonney peppers,[sup][1][/sup]  or Caribbean red peppers[sup][2][/sup]  (LatinCapsicum chinense) is a variety of chili pepper. Found mainly in the Caribbean  islands, it is also in Guyana  (where it is called Ball of Fire), theMaldives  Islands and West Africa.[sup][3][/sup]  It is named for its resemblance to a Tam o' Shanter  hat.[sup][4][/sup]  Most Scotch Bonnets have a heat rating of 100,000–350,000 Scoville Units.,[sup][5][/sup]  however there are completely sweet varieties of Scotch Bonnet grown on some of the Caribbean islands, called Cachucha peppers. For comparison, most jalapeño  peppers have a heat rating of 2,500 to 8,000 on theScoville scale.

Maybe it was supposed to be made with the sweet variety they mention?  I've had jerk chicken and its always been more sweet than spicy...

It's kinda sad that, on a recent trip to Negril, I found that authentic jerk is being prepared in only a handful of outlets now. Mostly, at least in the case of chicken, the meat is just grilled and then jerk sauce is added when the meal is plated.

So, we'll keep up the tradition and maybe we can encourage the originators of the cooking style will get back on board.
I am getting married this March is Ocho Rios and I have a contact with a local restaurant there to teach me the way to make authentic jerk. She plans on giving me the step by step so I will have to post it. They were on foodnetwork with Guy on his vacation. I want to try to do jerk prime rib for my reception.

That's great - I assume that you have been to Ochie before and know your way around. I spent my first few trips to Jah in Ochie but then discovered Negril and the long, open beach there. The best of luck to you and your bride-to-be as well as your endeavors with learning the jerk cooking process. Look up a book by a Jamaican lady named Helen Willinsky called Jerk, Barbecue from Jamaica. There is a new edition out and it is very good. Probably available from Amazon - certainly at the airport in MoBay.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky