Smoked ham hock for ham and bean soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guaves13

Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
I posted this awhile back but only got 1 reply. Any advise on smoking a ham hock? I need to know how long it should take. I have a vertical propane smoker and will use hickory, maple, or cherry wood. Any advise would be great. Thanks.

Sorry but I haven't cooked hocks.

If you're going to use them for flavoring beans then you don't have to cook them to 200° like a pork butt. I would think that you could hot smoke them to 145° and then finish them in the beans. Or you could brine them and then cold smoke like a ham.

As far as wood flavor, use what you like best. If for beans I would use hickory to make them a little more smoky. If eating the hocks straight up, then maybe maple or cherry.

Like I said ... I haven't done these. Maybe someone can offer better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky