Smoked fish without brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm wanting to smoke some crappie I might have to after reading this thread

I've used BearCarvers recipe on bluegill and bass it was very good...BUT I also tried SmokinAls recipe which is simply to rub the fillets with olive oil and dust them up with seasonings and smoke them right away (I used Cajun) and those were also real good. Doing them Al's way without the brine the fish won't keep as long unfrozen...but that wasn't an issue...I ate them.like Lay's potato chips...couldn't eat just one...
I'm guessing you'd get similar results with the crappie as I did with the gills...be warned that it won't take much time in any brine due to how thin crappie are...first batch of gills I did I left in the brine WAY to long...using bears recipe the gills brined for just over half an hour were great. Here's a plate of gills with a couple bass fillets mixed in.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky