Smoked Eye of Round +

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Brought home a 5.25 lb eye of round from Sam's yesterday, $2.94lb. I trimmed off about a half a pound of fat and brushed on some Worsty sauce and then gave it a liberal coating of MSS. Wrapped it up for a night in the fridge.
DSCN1943.JPG

Up this morning before the birds were singing I fired up the Pro 100 to 180º and loaded in the beef with a pan of hickory
DSCN1954.JPG

While that was underway I packed four pint jars for canning with the salmon trimmings from this winters three lox efforts. Had the All American 21 purring away on the new patio stove setup
DSCN1952.JPG

After the first hour I changed the chip pan with some fresh hickory and raised the temp tp 200º, then went back in the kitchen to make some dough for a batch of my burger buns. Right about the time that was finished the salmon was ready to come out and cool down, looked perfect bubbling away.
DSCN1957.JPG

Time was zipping by and I again changed to some fresh hickory chips and raised the temp on the Pro 100 to 225º, twas smokin' fine!
DSCN1955.JPG

I looked over and the dough I'd set out earlier was all ready to rock
DSCN1959.JPG

I knock it down and form six burger buns, cover it up for a second rise, and head out to the store to find Pepsi Zero for the wife. I'm back an hour later with the goods, plus a little meat for me. I turn the oven on to 375º, the TP-20 alarm goes off letting me know the eye of round in the smoker has just reached 127º, pull it!
DSCN1958.JPG

The buns go in the oven, 18 minutes later I'm rewarded with this.
DSCN1961.JPG

Now all the pressure is off, the beef is in the fridge and will go thru my slicer tomorrow, be perfect for French dips and sannys. The canned salmon is in he cupboard and there when I want it, the burger buns are in a ziploc in the freezer. I'm slicing a little top sirloin I grabbed at the grocery store, thinking Philly cheesesteak after another dip in the pool and a couple of pops of Evan
DSCN1962.JPG

Pretty darned productive 3rd, maybe I'll just take it easy tomorrow. Hope y'all have a great and safe 4th, life is good! RAY

Damn Ray you got a lot done!! That eye of round looks great as do those fresh baked rolls. I bet that home canned salmon is money too!!

Reactions: sawhorseray
RAY, nice work ! I could snack on some of that salmon! You got a lot done today for sure! I did too...... Unfortunately not doing all the cool stuff like you got to do! Was a work day for me.

Looks like a busy day. All looks good. Hope you have a great 4th ray

Thanks Jake! Hoping you and your family have a safe and happy 4th too. RAY

Holey crap Ray, you didn't even have time for a half dozen dips in the pool.
I would agree though, very productive.

Thanks Rider, don't you worry, we were in plenty. No it's dark, might go skinny dippin"! RAY

Damn Ray you got a lot done!! That eye of round looks great as do those fresh baked rolls. I bet that home canned salmon is money too!!

Made a couple of tacos on the BS too, not bad for a old guy on a hot day. Mix that salmon up with a little mayo, chopped onion, and pickle relish, happy happy! RAY

RAY, nice work ! I could snack on some of that salmon! You got a lot done today for sure! I did too...... Unfortunately not doing all the cool stuff like you got to do! Was a work day for me.

It's pretty good right out of the jar Travis, sometimes I'll give it a light smoke before canning. When you got kids you work until you can't anymore, or they can take care of themselves. Once the kids are grown and gone you get a dog so you've got something else to take care of. RAY

Wow sawhorseray looks like a deliciously busy morning. Everything looks phenomenal. Can you send a jar of that salmon my way please?

Ya know Peach if the shipping these days didn't cost five times what a couple of jars were worth I'd be more than happy to. There was a time many years back I used to bring shopping bags of wild caught smoked king salmon to a dog breeder just so I'd get pick of the litter, and I did. I lived 20 minutes from the boat launch on the Pacific ocean for almost 60 years, my partner and I used to refer to the stuff as Alaskan sled dog food, was sick of it. RAY

Thank y'all for the kind comments and Likes, I truly do appreciate them! RAY

Ray, Excellent write-up. And more importantly, the food you made..yummm! Time to relax now! You deserve it! Happy 4th bud

Thank you very much! It was a fun day for me, got some stuff knocked out and still had plenty of pool time. Today will be a few brewsters, a French dip sanny, pool time, and think about what to smoke tomorrow, taking the day off. Thanks for the like Yankee and have a safe and fun 4th. RAY

Happy 4th Ray and enjoy that french dip, the eye round looks delicious!

Thanks a lot Joe, I'm going to get on with slicing that baby as soon as my shoulders wake up, always hoping to see the rare side of things till first cut. You have a safe and happy 4th yourself, and thanks for the Like. RAY

Last edited:
Nice job Ray! You were definitely busy, but in a good way. Gotta love the all american, just got one last year.

Ryan

Nice job Ray! You were definitely busy, but in a good way. Gotta love the all american, just got one last year. Ryan

Thanks Ryan! The All American is a beast, I got it about six years ago for canning kokanee salmon up at Flaming Gorge in Wyoming. I'd set it up on the picnic table right at the campground and do 2-3 loads in the week were there, then someone told me it was illegal to do that. Then I moved the operation inside my cabover camper with the AC on high, we cancelled this years trip, along with everything else. Have a safe and sane 4th Ryan, remember to be safe, and thanks for the Like. RAY

Thank you John, here's to hoping you kids have a great day also! Beautiful pool day, going to be about 110º, just about time for a beer. Got that eye of round sliced up, came out perfect, glad I pulled it when I did. Bob loves slicing time, something always seems to hit the floor. Bob goes to the groomer Monday morning for a do, getting a little scruffy. RAY
DSCN1965.JPG
DSCN1969.JPG
DSCN1968.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky