Smoked Chuck Red Curry Magic!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So the boy came up with an “IDEA” for dinner this week…… since chuck is only 3.99 it became the star….

Started off seasoning up the chuck with lemon pepper & roasted garlic to complement the curry tones….. next the braising liquid is just some soy, beef stock, and hoisin.
9709EEA9-249D-4107-AAF9-459BC82B298E.jpeg

On the RT1250 @ 265 over the liquid pan….
1FEBB023-29A2-41ED-BC17-1982DCC7675C.jpeg

As the chuck braised the wife made up some red curry base…..she simmers it with lemon grass, large onions pieces, and Thai chilis and when it’s the right flavor and heat she strains them back out…..
5BF2F953-BF34-4480-8B27-39F136919139.jpeg

The chuck spent 5 hours in the smoke till it got 160 ish and was stalled then it when in the liquid to braise and when it hit 200 I put in the oven at 145. I intentionally went under pulled temp to have a bit of firmness for texture…..ready to pull…after an hour of resting…
26F7EED7-7E74-4692-82A6-8A0145797777.jpeg

I pulled it in bigger pieces for that texture….
382405CC-DD47-4739-8EBA-10C9A38AD005.jpeg

The pieces were added back in with the braise liquid…..perfect flavor for the curry…..
3083B72B-E726-4A39-AABD-17561318875F.jpeg

The chuck was added into the curry pot after the wife added the coconut milk to simmer in…..
682BB453-EC45-43B3-B7AA-7E812FDE5C21.jpeg

The wife used potato’s vs sweet spuds so it would reheat better and how do you not love and Idaho russet!
D8094711-6FF0-47FC-9BED-7967E2E17ADE.jpeg

The wife also pan seared some sweet onions and red pepper in a fry pan to get them caramelized and to add another layer of flavor…..
35990F08-F0BF-49F3-9539-AAEB1F2D7EFA.jpeg

Once the spuds were just done (still firm but not starch flavor) the peppers and onions went in to be folded in….
61190BDA-052E-4EC7-848B-65C29BDBF90A.jpeg

And now introducing smoked chuck red curry!!!
17079425-3383-4622-9525-5B1461084943.jpeg

The salad is dressed with my wife’s Thai basil orange dressing (off the chart!!!!)
A08E3E35-C7A8-4D35-ADDA-449C65D07670.jpeg

I have had a lot of red curry over the years and this was my wife’s first one (she does lots of yellow and green) and this was/is at the top……the individual element layers with the curry and then the rich smoke chuck……I’m at a loss of words at how good this was!!!!
ACEEC7BF-62CC-43C8-9515-C30BB20E2ADD.jpeg

It is topped with fresh chopped Thai basil and Thai chilis…..just magic!!!

Last edited:
Not gonna lie when I was scrolling through and got to the plate pic I saw the salad first and thought "WTF happend here?" Kept scrolling and saw the main course.

Looks good, I have wanted to try some curry dishes just havent gotten around to it.

Wow Civil! That is an incredible dish
And your plated shot….wow! I’m a huge fan of smoking to 160 followed by the braise. It adds new levels of flavors to the braised meat and your meal looks like there was a ton of awesomeness even beyond those levels, but I have not done a lot with Asian and never a curry. You have me thinking I need to change that soon! What an incredible meal, definitely reservation worthy!

After checking this out i may have to branch out into trying this type of cooking.
That is a great looking plate!

jIM

That looks fantastic all around .
I was going to ask if you ever used Thai basil . I grew a bunch in my aero garden last year and dried it out . Has a nice anise smell to it . Good stuff .
That first plated shot is money bud . Nice work by all .

Not gonna lie when I was scrolling through and got to the plate pic I saw the salad first and thought "WTF happend here?" Kept scrolling and saw the main course.

Looks good, I have wanted to try some curry dishes just havent gotten around to it.
Thanks nicefly! Yea got to have some greens to start to get you hungry right….lol! Curry’s are worth the try for sure!

Yea, smoked beef curry.
I like it. Looks great.

Many thanks edmonds!
Wow Civil! That is an incredible dish
And your plated shot….wow! I’m a huge fan of smoking to 160 followed by the braise. It adds new levels of flavors to the braised meat and your meal looks like there was a ton of awesomeness even beyond those levels, but I have not done a lot with Asian and never a curry. You have me thinking I need to change that soon! What an incredible meal, definitely reservation worthy!
Thanks Jed, much appreciated! I do chuck, butts, and brisket this way (brisket in its rendered fat trim) and I’m sold!!! I would highly recommend this as it is perfect, right up your alley!
Wow you killed it civil!!!! I been meaning to make curry for last couple weeks. This going to get the ball rolling.
Thanks Brian! Wife my wife “announced” my boys idea, I told them both I got to do a post one it!
After checking this out i may have to branch out into trying this type of cooking.
That is a great looking plate!

jIM
Many thanks Jim! We have been looking for different ways to use smoked meat beyond the norm….this will not be a norm!
That looks fantastic all around .
I was going to ask if you ever used Thai basil . I grew a bunch in my aero garden last year and dried it out . Has a nice anise smell to it . Good stuff .
That first plated shot is money bud . Nice work by all .
Thanks chop, oh yes we use lots of Thai basil. Yes the anise overtone is perfect, just bright and clean! My wife loosely follows a recipe, I’m not sure what she put in i but man she nailed it!

That looks great.
I make red or green curry dishes. Never tried it with beef.
I cheat and start with a curry base, but not really as I usually make my own.
Thai basil is essential to getting the correct flavor.

That sure does look good Civil. Excellent job

Point for sure
Chris

Holy cow!! What am amazing array of food. All of it looks spectacular. I'd have a REALLY hard time picking a favorite....so maybe just a big bowl of each please :emoji_wink: Excellent job all around.
So the boy came up with an “IDEA” for dinner this week
I like the way your boy thinks. He may be onto a great life coming up with fun and interesting meals. Also, kudos that your wife was involved. That is a true family affair that is rarely seen these days....unfortunately.

Robert

Oh wow! This looks like FLAVOR!

That sure does look good Civil. Excellent job

Point for sure
Chris

Holy cow!! What am amazing array of food. All of it looks spectacular. I'd have a REALLY hard time picking a favorite....so maybe just a big bowl of each please :emoji_wink: Excellent job all around.

I like the way your boy thinks. He may be onto a great life coming up with fun and interesting meals. Also, kudos that your wife was involved. That is a true family affair that is rarely seen these days....unfortunately.

Robert
Thanks Robert! Yea I had a few bowls and still can't decide other than more future bowls is the right answer!

We have made cooking in the kitchen as a family a tradition in our house and am really glad we did. The kids got to learn some valuable skills and now we get to have extra help doing it! I'm mean the Boys 18th B-Day spent at Hells Kitchen Vegas pretty much inked him is a foodie, he still talks about that birthday!
That is an amazing array of food!!
Thanks GS, much appreciated!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky