Smoked capon for Thanksgiving

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Now there's something I haven't heard of in a long time. A capon is a chicken that was castrated when young. They are allowed to grow bigger and were fairly popular many years ago when the biggest chickens available commercially were only 2-3 lbs. I can remember us selling quite a few around the holidays when I worked for A&P. Should cook or smoke the same as most any chicken, just might take a little longer. I haven't seen one in a grocery store in quite awhile probably because it seems most whole birds these days are 5-6 lbs. or bigger.

Now there's something I haven't heard of in a long time. A capon is a chicken that was castrated when young. They are allowed to grow bigger and were fairly popular many years ago when the biggest chickens available commercially were only 2-3 lbs. I can remember us selling quite a few around the holidays when I worked for A&P. Should cook or smoke the same as most any chicken, just might take a little longer. I haven't seen one in a grocery store in quite awhile probably because it seems most whole birds these days are 5-6 lbs. or bigger.
This one is 8.24 pounds. Looking forward to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221124_104955403_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221124_104955403_HDR.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: mike243
Something went wrong and the charcoal almost went out. I cracked open the bottom damoer and opened the top damper all the way, but it didn't raise the temperature a lot. I let it cold smoke for a while and then transferred it to the oven. I'm sure it will still be good. I think I know what I did wrong. I've used the snake method twice before without this happening.

Mom used to always cook a capon instead of a turkey on Thanksgiving. The entire family loved it so much more than turkey.

Looks like you nailed that eunuch Alan. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky