Smoked Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Hey again. Down here in my neck of the woods you can go to about any bbq restaurant and order a smoked bologna sandwich. Its common practice to just pick up a chub of store bought bologna, score it,slather in mustard and apply rub. Then smoke it. This batch is actually for an older friend of mine who grew up treating this and still loves the stuff. So here goes.....

Started out with just a regular chub of bologna you can find at any grocery store. This one is 10lbs
20200406_115334.jpg

Cut it up into 4 pieces that way I can have more end pieces(I'll get to that later). Score it all over so you can get rub deeper and allow for better smoke penetration. Then apply rub all over. I used butt rub because it's kinda spicy. Dont really care for it on much else.
20200406_120858.jpg

Then onto the smoker at about 200° for 4 hours using pecan. I'm not looking for a certain IT so I dont even check. I'm looking for color and a crunch like surface.
20200406_154453.jpg
20200406_154459.jpg

The 2 pics above are about 2hrs in
20200406_154925.jpg
20200406_154930.jpg
20200406_154934.jpg

And here it is. Turned out great. Nice smoke ring and tons of bbq flavor.

Its cooling so I will slice it later and vac seal it all. 4 thick slices per including 1 end piece in ever bag. It's the best piece lol. Down here we put a thick slice on a piece of Texas toast. Slather of bbq sauce, cheese,lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle.

A true southern delicacy!

Looks real good Jake, I grew up eating fried bologna sammies and loved them bologna boobs. I'll have to give this a try.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow Jake, that looks great. If you hadn't told me, I would have thought it was a ham :emoji_laughing: I have not had decent bologna in a LONG time but after seeing this, I may just have to create some of my own. That just looks too good not to have on hand...and I love fried bologna for breakfast.

Robert

Jake that is great looking pieces of bologna. Also like how deep you cut it. I've had deli sliced fried bologna sandwich but never thick & smoked. I take it you reheat for sandwich.

Jake that is great looking pieces of bologna. Also like how deep you cut it. I've had deli sliced fried bologna sandwich but never thick & smoked. I take it you reheat for sandwich.
Thanks buzzy. I score probably 1/4 in. Dont go too deep or it will be hard to slice. When I slice these up I probably slice 1/2-5/8in thick. 10lbs is probably 32 slices(I'll post sliced and vac seal tomorrow) and yeah just heat in a skillet or throw on a grill to reheat. We do sandwiches and also fry some up for biscuits

Man I wish I could have some of that for supper!! Always loved fried bologna and I have to think nice big thick smoked pieces are even better. Great stuff!

Wow Jake, that looks great. If you hadn't told me, I would have thought it was a ham :emoji_laughing: I have not had decent bologna in a LONG time but after seeing this, I may just have to create some of my own. That just looks too good not to have on hand...and I love fried bologna for breakfast.

Robert
Thanks robert. It does look like hams lol. Give it a try. It's cheap and delicious!

Man I wish I could have some of that for supper!! Always loved fried bologna and I have to think nice big thick smoked pieces are even better. Great stuff!
Oh yeah smoked kicks it up about 100 notches. Give it a try andthanks for the like

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky