Smoked Asiago Meatballs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Mrs. Smokin’ in AZ (Sue) here using John’s login again. I decided to make a large batch of meatballs while our brisket was smoking today. The meatballs are to freeze for upcoming Italian meals. But, these aren’t just any meatballs, I took it up a notch and prepared Smokey Asiago Meatballs made with the asiago that John smoked last week on our RecTec with apple pellets in the amazn tube. Here goes…

Ingredients (But, I tripled the recipe):

1 1/4 pounds ground sirloin
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely grated Smoked Asiago cheese
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. onion, chopped
Fresh ground pepper & smidge of salt

Grate the smoked cheese. Add cheese and all other ingredients to large bowl.
1579565516112.png
IMG_20200120_132530431.jpg

Mix by hand; this is just the best way to thoroughly mix the meatball ingredients.
IMG_20200120_133002096.jpg

Make 1 ½ inch meatballs. I use a Tbsp measuring spoon and make rounded Tbsp sized meatballs (though the size does vary a little bit).
IMG_20200120_134514928.jpg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat cookie sheet with some EVOO; I spread it around with a paper towel. Place meatballs on the cookie sheet. Leave a little room between the meatballs so they don’t stick together.
IMG_20200120_135056439.jpg

Bake meatballs until no longer pink – about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before packaging for the freezer.
IMG_20200120_142802167.jpg

Since I made so many, I decided to use some to make meatball stuffed shells. Here goes…Boil jumbo pasta shells per directions on the box. Spread a little sauce in bottom of baking dish. Fill each pasta shell with a meatball and place in baking dish.
IMG_20200120_143658781.jpg

Top with more sauce and mozzarella cheese. Of course, I also topped it with more of the smoked asiago cheese. Bake covered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Then, uncover and bake 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted. Alternately, freeze before baking. Let thaw in refrigerator for a day and then bake per the instructions. Below is a pic of the finished product before they get frozen. This is an easy main course for a golfing day, fishing day or a day at the office…enjoy!
IMG_20200120_144148685.jpg

Thank you for looking!
Sue

Last edited:
Those meatballs look awesome, I love Asiago cheese. I bet those would be good smoked too.

WHOA SUE!! I'm up for adoption if you're looking for a large appetite to help you get rid of that over abundance of meatballs. They look great by themselves but those shells look to die for. We are big into Italian food here and I have those on the ever increasing list of things to do...but those will move to the head of the line.

Woo...I mean seriously, just wow!!
Robert

I love good Italian food, and those stuffed shells look like something I'd eat every day (if I weren't trying to loose weight). Great job Sue!

Sue,
The meatballs look delicious.
Thanks!

Sue
Looks delicious!
Thanks!

Sue
Those meatballs look awesome, I love Asiago cheese. I bet those would be good smoked too.
Thanks!

Sue
WHOA SUE!! I'm up for adoption if you're looking for a large appetite to help you get rid of that over abundance of meatballs. They look great by themselves but those shells look to die for. We are big into Italian food here and I have those on the ever increasing list of things to do...but those will move to the head of the line.

Woo...I mean seriously, just wow!!
Robert
Thanks!

Sue

Sue, I'm going to try this. Questions: Could I add some spicy Italian sausages to the mix? Do these meatballs also go well in spaghetti sauce or for meatball subs? What would be a good temp to smoke the meatballs? Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky