Smoked and Cured Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guss

Original poster
Jan 31, 2021
I took a pork loin and cut in 3 pcs. I then used the Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure on it. Yesterday it had been through 12 days curing in the refrigerator and after rinsing put in the smoker until it reached an internal temp of 153 degs. Well I brought it into the house to cool off and forgot to put into the fridge last night. I guess my question is, may I refrig it now for a couple hours, then slice. Will it be OK to consume?

When in doubt.. throw it out.

I understand that it's been cured and smoked and you have a lot of time invested in it.. but it's just not worth it.

You don't think there would be spoilage, sitting out for aprox. 9hrs?
Nope. Country hams and for about a year and go through what’s called the summer sweats. Prosciutto, which doesn’t even have nitrites and Spanish hams the same, cure for a year or more and the temperature is not constant.
Curing with nitrite and smoking used to be all about food preservation with no refrigeration. It’s safe. Now days we do this ritualistic curing smoking but always refrigerate. Nothing wrong with that, but once cured and smoked, that loin has a longer shelf life than 9 hours. I promise you that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky