Smoked a whole picanha today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

letthemeatrest

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Springfield, VA
Took it directly out of the packaging with no trimming, just scored the fat cap. Salt pepper and olive oil and let it sit on the counter for 1 hour while i got the WSM ready. Oak briquettes w/pecan chunks. Ran smoker at 225, pretty stable but crept up to 240 when it finished. Took them off at 126, residual heat took it up to 134. Was delicious, taste like prime rib! Can't see the fat cap in the pics but the fat is one of the best parts!

Photos of prep & resting

IMG_7586.jpg IMG_7588.jpg

Sliced

IMG_7591.jpg

Last edited:
Took it directly out of the packaging with no trimming, just scored the fat cap. Salt pepper and olive oil and let it sit on the counter for 1 hour while i got the WSM ready. Oak briquettes w/pecan chunks. Ran smoker at 225, pretty stable but crept up to 240 when it finished. Took them off at 126, residual heat took it up to 134. Was delicious, taste like prime rib! Can't see the fat cap in the pics but the fat is one of the best parts!

Photos of prep & resting

View attachment 652578 View attachment 652579

Sliced

View attachment 652580
yes sir. one of my favorites..... it's ONE of the bonuses to living in North Cuba.......... err I mean South Florida.

Reactions: MiamiSmoker305
I never knew this cut existed until I found a Portuguese butcher. Now it's one of my favorites. That looks fantastic.

Looks excellent and perfectly cooked. I have a 3 pounder here and was going to slice into 2-3 steaks. Just trying to decide which direction to slice. Great job.

IMO, that's the way to do it.
I had some friends over, and decided to do it differently by slicing into steaks like they do at the Rodizio steakhouses. Turned out to be a bad move, and I was mightily embarassed.

IMO, that's the way to do it.
I had some friends over, and decided to do it differently by slicing into steaks like they do at the Rodizio steakhouses. Turned out to be a bad move, and I was mightily embarassed.
Did it come out a little tough? Sirloin and sirloin cap steaks can benefit from a little bromelain marinade imo.

I refuse to call them the new fancy Pic##### word. When I cut meat - they were just sirloin cap steaks lol.

They are my 3rd favorite steak, and of the top 3 they are the only one I truly enjoy rare+ because they are so lean. I'm not a big fan of rare fat. I'll eat sirloin or sirloin cap dam near raw though.

Ribeye
Denver
P-word

Those powdered meat tenderizers like Adolfs contain bromelain. A tsp in a 1/2 cup of water in a ziploc bag the morning before you cook would help without making it mushy. You can definitely add other flavors if you want there. Bromelaine is the stuff in pineapple that tenderizes meat.

We used it in the steakhouse I managed - a proprietary blend, but bromelaine, sugar and salt were the main ingredients.

Those powdered meat tenderizers like Adolfs contain bromelain. A tsp in a 1/2 cup of water in a ziploc bag the morning before you cook would help without making it mushy. You can definitely add other flavors if you want there. Bromelaine is the stuff in pineapple that tenderizes meat.

We used it in the steakhouse I managed - a proprietary blend, but bromelaine, sugar and salt were the main ingredients.
Good info, thanks!
When I've made it like letthemeatrest, the meat was tender as can be.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky