Smoke Tube Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I have most of my meat smoking on hold, I am waiting for parts for my Mailbox mod. But I do have a couple of smoke tubes for the project that I can use now. The issue is I don't have any pellets. I on on the tail end of covid, so I don't feel comfortable going out.

The question is, can I use just small wood chips instead. I have heard people suggest this, I just want to be sure.

If I have to mix them, what ratio do I need?

Honestly, I'd just experiment with packing the chips in fairly tight and see how it burns. I believe indaswamp indaswamp uses dust packed into tubes with good results.

I have done just chips once. Packed as tight as I could. Worked fine but short burn about 2 hours.
Thank you, that's what I needed. I can play with it for a while and see. Just didn't want to be drying something that wouldn't work very well.

Do you have a spare blender or one spouse won't catch you using to break up the chips?

Hope all is well and you recover.
I had covid at Christmas. It was a lot easier than my bout with pneumonia 7 years ago.

Do you have a spare blender or one spouse won't catch you using to break up the chips?

Hope all is well and you recover.
I assume the finer I grind them the longer the cook time? Maybe this is a good opportunity to get some points. Wife is always looking to upgrade.

It is just a little more then a medium chest cold at this point. We just can't go shopping.

It will be better. Not as good as pellets. You are looking for more wood and less air in the tube.
I mash my pellets to break up the long shards and get a denser pack in the tube.

I've never mixed pellets and chips.

I have had great results mixing pellets and chips. More pellets = longer burn. More chips = more smoke. Get two tubes for your mailbox so you can have one loaded and ready when the other runs out. Chips alone should work just fine.

The chips/pellets technique gets around the issue of not being able to find 100% pellets. Most seem to be blended with a base hardwood like maple or alder.

Reactions: Nefarious
I mixed some bark of a shag bark hickory with my pellets last weekend. It worked great. I just picked the bark and broke it into small pieces. Flavor was good.

I have had great results mixing pellets and chips. More pellets = longer burn. More chips = more smoke. Get two tubes for your mailbox so you can have one loaded and ready when the other runs out. Chips alone should work just fine.
That what I do. Put chips in than add pellets and shake to fill gaps. The chips give the best flavor and pellets slow the burn.

Reactions: OldSmoke
For lower temp stuff like hams and sausage I alternate pellets and chips .
Pellets in the tube first , then some chips , more pellets , chips until it's full . End up with more pellets than chips at the end that gets lit .
Higher temp cooks I burn wood chunks . Right on the element tray .
20201017_114556.jpg
20201017_133659.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky