Smoke stack question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RBBennett

Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
The Woodlands, TX
Hello all, new to forum, well at least newly joined, been perusing for several months.

We have a company smoker trailer that I used for the first time last week. I is a 24" diameter X 50-54" long 1/4" pipe offset with an upright 24" chamber. Firebox is about 24" long X 24" dia. It was hard regulating temp and had bad hot spot on FB side. opposite end and vertical side at 250deg, FB end would be 380-450deg. The main issues are there is a deflector plate that runs about 15" into the smoker and there is one 4" exhaust stack that is about 8" tall. I added metal duct from Lowes to get it to about 24" It helped but I know there is not a great draw. I have an 8-10" piece of 4" pipe could add to get another smoke stack. not sure if it should be next to, 90deg or 180deg out from the existing one. and if need to get then also add the duct to it to get more height.

Also know the deflector plate needs to go or at least be reduced in length and if so i was thinking at most 2-4" long. After much research if i get good flow then don't need deflector plate.

last but not least, I've seen about adding intake at top of firebox to pull the heat across and into CC and i think that can easily be achieved based on the layout, but the existing butterly gate may accomplish that already as top if it is about at mid to top of splits when burning.

Attachments

• IMG_8326.jpg
    IMG_8326.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 88
  • image_67198465.JPG
    image_67198465.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Hello all, new to forum, well at least newly joined, been perusing for several months.

We have a company smoker trailer that I used for the first time last week. I is a 24" diameter X 50-54" long 1/4" pipe offset with an upright 24" chamber. Firebox is about 24" long X 24" dia. It was hard regulating temp and had bad hot spot on FB side. opposite end and vertical side at 250deg, FB end would be 380-450deg. The main issues are there is a deflector plate that runs about 15" into the smoker and there is one 4" exhaust stack that is about 8" tall. I added metal duct from Lowes to get it to about 24" It helped but I know there is not a great draw. I have an 8-10" piece of 4" pipe could add to get another smoke stack. not sure if it should be next to, 90deg or 180deg out from the existing one. and if need to get then also add the duct to it to get more height.

Also know the deflector plate needs to go or at least be reduced in length and if so i was thinking at most 2-4" long. After much research if i get good flow then don't need deflector plate.

last but not least, I've seen about adding intake at top of firebox to pull the heat across and into CC and i think that can easily be achieved based on the layout, but the existing butterly gate may accomplish that already as top if it is about at mid to top of splits when burning.
It’s got basically sMe dims and design of the Lyfetyme 24”x48” double lid with firebox and upright. Which has 2 smoke stacks, can’t tell what size. The word thing is the placement of the two smoke stacks are different on their 20” and 24”. And can’t find any picks of the inside to see what deflector they have, if any.

A simple smoker design that works for Standard and Reverse flow calculations...

A simple smoker design that works for Standard and Reverse flow calculations...
Thanks, how do I figure the upright chamber. Include it in CC volume. And use its height for the stack height, but not volume of stack?

Use it for the height only... ~35" above the CC is a good number.. The height is only creating draft... 35" is a good pressure differential for a moderate sustaining air flow through the CC... Be sure to add upper air inlets to the Fire Box... They will allow for air flow WITHOUT adding air to the fire... That's a good thing....

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky