Smoke house build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ribs and butts

Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
south central pa
Hello all, I'm looking to build a smoke house/ smoker. I am in the process of setting up to raise 4-8 hogs at a time. So I need away to smoke 8 hams max at 1 time. I'll be butchering 4 max at 1 time then a few weeks later possible the others.
We have a concrete block room on off of our barn. The room is 10'x6' with a ceiling height of 6' with concrete floor.
I need some input as to if this would be a good idea or not. If so what would be a good way to heat this area and produce the smoke.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Hello all, I'm looking to build a smoke house/ smoker. I am in the process of setting up to raise 4-8 hogs at a time. So I need away to smoke 8 hams max at 1 time. I'll be butchering 4 max at 1 time then a few weeks later possible the others.
We have a concrete block room on off of our barn. The room is 10'x6' with a ceiling height of 6' with concrete floor.
I need some input as to if this would be a good idea or not. If so what would be a good way to heat this area and produce the smoke.
That is excellent!
Many ways to go for heat and smoke. You could build a small fire in a corner, or use hot coals. Or you could go propane. Many options.
Can you easily creat draft? Air inlet and exhaust?

This sounds legit! Been kicking around the idea of doing something like this. Following!

The room currently didn't have a door on it. I figured it can make a door for it and cut and vent into the bottom of the door that I can adjust to control intake air. There are currently 2- 12"x18" openings in the block that I haven't closed off yet. 1 is on the 6' wall opposite of the door and the other is on the middle of the 10' wall. My thoughts are to use the opening on the 6' wall with like a 4 or 5" diameter stove pipe in with a damper in.
My question is what for propane burner should I use. I do have a propane line already stubbed into this room.

The room currently didn't have a door on it. I figured it can make a door for it and cut and vent into the bottom of the door that I can adjust to control intake air. There are currently 2- 12"x18" openings in the block that I haven't closed off yet. 1 is on the 6' wall opposite of the door and the other is on the middle of the 10' wall. My thoughts are to use the opening on the 6' wall with like a 4 or 5" diameter stove pipe in with a damper in.
My question is what for propane burner should I use. I do have a propane line already stubbed into this room.
Really depends on what temperature you want to get to? If all you want is warm smoke a turkey fryer will work. That’s what I have in my 3x3x7’ smokehouse. If you want to get up to 200* or so a pipe burner may be needed.

If you want to build your own set up here is a great site to get you started.

https://tejassmokers.com/

You could start with a turkey fryer style or whatever you have on hand and see how it goes from there.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Following, I want to build a smoke house for cold smoking etc. I don't envision temps ever over 250°

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky