Smoke Exhaust Level

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rasbrown

Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
SACRAMENTO, CA
I'm new to the forum and have a question that I'm sure can be answered by the group.  Doing my homework before my UDS build.  I'm thinking of putting smoke exhaust ports just below each grill level in the build.  Has anyone tried this, is it a suggested design, or is it a flawed design?  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Randy

You're going to want your exhaust up on top. Having the exhaust lower will allow heat to escape before it get to the meat and will make the smoker hard to control temp wise. I have built two UDS smokers and on both have just used the kid that came
With the drum. Both with a 2" bung and a 1" bung on top. I leave both of those open all of the time when cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky