Smoke Diversion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MunkeyTX

Original poster
Sep 5, 2022
Owner of an Old Country Wrangler offset, everything is fantastic with this pit. Consistent temperatures across the grate with no modifications, super easy fire management, excellent results across the board.

The general location of my pit along with the prevailing winds cause the smoke to travel across our main sitting / hot tub area. With the stack on the Wrangler basically chest high, this would require routing the smoke up above, something akin to a true smokestack. However, I do not want to alter the flow characteristics of the pit, at all.

Brainstorming: use 6" stovepipe attached to pergola to divert smoke; 8x6 reducer would act as "funnel" but not attach directly to pit stack; keep 6" clearance between stack and bottom of funnel using keeper plate to locate reducer over stack and prevent smoke from being blown away within clearance gap.

Concerns: Would this still alter the flow characteristics of the pit? Would this setup even capture a sufficient amount of smoke to be diverted? How would vertical run of pipe be removed for storage (thinking spring type hose clamps)?

Any thoughts?

1662393959523.png

Welcome.

You may have better luck asking in here:

I suspect that you will need to add an an in line axial fan in your exhaust to get it work well. I don't believe you have enough cross sectional area to capture and set up a natural draft. Most venting solutions I have seen use a larger hood with a fan.

I had looked into this before and considered one of these. https://a.co/d/aGFV84y

My thoughts were that it was all metal, maybe had enough flow CFM to do the job, and it should capture enough ambient air to cool the stream a bit so that it doesn't get it the fan and exhaust vent too hot.

Alternatively, I have actually used a simple blower and also a powerful pedestal fan to blow it away.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky