smoke box for Kamado Pot.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can you not just put a chunk or two of wood in the lump charcoal? Are you looking to cold smoke maybe? The Amazn tray is the go to if you need to load a try with pellets or dust.

I heat with a wood burning stove using hardwood. So I don't feel a need to buy hardwood sawdust. yes I can put hardwood chunks in with the charcoal and I currently do that. In my old tin smoker I use an external smoke source to cold smoke That will not come up to temp for a hot smoke in the winter even with external insulation. I know from watching cooking shows that chefs use a smoke box in normal oven to get a smoked flavor and wondered if anyone had experience with these devices and how well they work for BBQ/smokers like a kamado pot.

Reactions: jcam222
I heat with a wood burning stove using hardwood. So I don't feel a need to buy hardwood sawdust. yes I can put hardwood chunks in with the charcoal and I currently do that. In my old tin smoker I use an external smoke source to cold smoke That will not come up to temp for a hot smoke in the winter even with external insulation. I know from watching cooking shows that chefs use a smoke box in normal oven to get a smoked flavor and wondered if anyone had experience with these devices and how well they work for BBQ/smokers like a kamado pot.
I think you could use an Amazn tray with pellet or dust in the bottom of your Kamado to cold smoke.

Thanks that is tempting. I Just bought an Iron smoke box on amazon for $7.95. I will give it a try for Hot smoking in the K pot and to add smoke when broiling on the gas grill. The Brinkman tin smoker with an electric hear source works well for cold smoke in the summer and I could go back to charcoal for winter. But that is labor intensive as it requires keeping close track for 6 to 8 hours. My external smoke source is a converted ceramic charcoal camp stove that I found at a garage sale a few years ago. Previously I used 5 litter olive oil tin ducted into the smoker and fired by an old soldering iron.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky