Small batch of smoked marble and old cheder cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Outside temp was 55F so fired up the Bradly smoker using the auber pid controller to get a cabinet temp of 70F. I find having some heat the cheese will take on a better smoke and color. So I gave them 2 hours of hickory. Could have gone longer but going longer is not always better. Could end up with cheese that tastes like a cigarette butt.
All packaged in 2's inside baggies then vac sealed for a two month stay in the fridge to help mellow out the smoke.
Some can eat it right away, I'm not one of those people LOL.
2rCZhqz.jpg
zD7xKkF.jpg

Some info I borrowed from the old Bradley smoker forum.
"Now there are many types of cheese that take smoke well and some that don't seem to accept it quite as naturally. Everyone has different tastes and we always encourage you to experiment- so this is simply a guideline for those wishing to try this delicacy. Cheddar, mozzarella, swiss, gouda, pepper jack, fontina, provolone and even parmesan seem to be your typical favorites. The most common types of wood are apple, cherry, maple, pecan and for a heavier flavor, hickory.

It doesn't take long to smoke cheese and the typical smoke period will run from 1-2 hrs. Again, experimentation is key. It's recommended to smoke for a shorter period of time the first time and increase slightly until you've reached your desired level of smokiness. It's wise to keep precise records of types of wood used, types of cheese, amount of time smoked for future reference.

Another tip is to smoke smaller pieces of cheese - try one or two pound pieces . Some like to cut the cheese into 1-2 inch thicknesses so that when they cut off a piece its perfect cracker size.

Many strongly recommend wrapping the cheese in foil or plastic wrap after removing from the smoker and refrigerate it for a couple of hours or even overnight- this is said to let the smoke settle into the cheese and give a better overall flavor. If you notice that your cheese "perspires" you can wipe it down with a paper towel or a clean cloth. Some will even smoke the cheese wrapped in a cheesecloth or an old T-shirt (clean, of course)."

Looks good, hope it turns out. I also need to let it mellow in the back of the fridge, some of mine will float around back there for a year before it gets opened. I just did some sharp cheddar with hickory a few weeks ago. I couldn't imagine going for 2-4 hours, I normally do 30-45 minutes but maybe that's the difference in pellets versus wood chunks and chips? I'll typically light a small piece of lump and when it's going well place it in HD foil, pile wood chips over it and then wrap it up tight just leaving a small opening at the top for smoke to escape. This produces smoke for up to 2 hours with almost no heat.

Looks good, hope it turns out. I also need to let it mellow in the back of the fridge, some of mine will float around back there for a year before it gets opened. I just did some sharp cheddar with hickory a few weeks ago. I couldn't imagine going for 2-4 hours, I normally do 30-45 minutes but maybe that's the difference in pellets versus wood chunks and chips? I'll typically light a small piece of lump and when it's going well place it in HD foil, pile wood chips over it and then wrap it up tight just leaving a small opening at the top for smoke to escape. This produces smoke for up to 2 hours with almost no heat.
I have a old microwave that I use as my cold smoke chamber. I don't even use the bradly pucks anymore. I just used the A-MAZE-N tube in there now.
K9rxp15.jpg

So if starting out.. AM I understanding that #1 best if done in late fall/winter?(I Live in Missouri) and do NOT turn on smoker or whatever Im using but just place the tray or tube in the smoker for 3- hours or so. let rest/ put in fridge for a few days the vaccum seal? Or is there more to what IM saying?

So if starting out.. AM I understanding that #1 best if done in late fall/winter?(I Live in Missouri) and do NOT turn on smoker or whatever Im using but just place the tray or tube in the smoker for 3- hours or so. let rest/ put in fridge for a few days the vaccum seal? Or is there more to what IM saying?
Yes, fall or winter when it is cooler and NO heat.
If you get to 90f (I think that's the temp) or so the cheese will start to melt.
How long to smoke for is something you will have to play with for your taste.
First time I tried it, I ate some after it was done smoking, and it tasted like an ashtray.
Threw it all away.
Didn't know it should mellow a while before eating.

Yes, fall or winter when it is cooler and NO heat.
If you get to 90f (I think that's the temp) or so the cheese will start to melt.
How long to smoke for is something you will have to play with for your taste.
First time I tried it, I ate some after it was done smoking, and it tasted like an ashtray.
Threw it all away.
Didn't know it should mellow a while before eating.
So is it to sit out a while before putting in fridge and then leave in fridge for a few days before sealing and putting in freezer?

So is it to sit out a while before putting in fridge and then leave in fridge for a few days before sealing and putting in freezer?
KBFlyer describes it best in the first paragraph of his post at the top of this page.

CF, Pretty easy to do if you keep the temps low (my highest temp is 70). My personal preference is about 4 hours of smoke with a mild wood like cherry or apple. Let it rest a few days uncovered in the fridge and then vac seal. I don't freeze and have eaten some smoked cheese that was "lost" in the fridge and was over 5 years old .

Reactions: gmc2003
CF, Pretty easy to do if you keep the temps low (my highest temp is 70). My personal preference is about 4 hours of smoke with a mild wood like cherry or apple. Let it rest a few days uncovered in the fridge and then vac seal. I don't freeze and have eaten some smoked cheese that was "lost" in the fridge and was over 5 years old .
So what is it that store bought cheese to mold?

OK Thanks.. So does it ONLY stay in the fridge for ever how long or do people actually then freeze it?
Freezing harder cheeses like cheddar and swiss can change the texture. Think crumbly and harder to get a good slice.

I use apple dust when I smoke cheese. I've found that I get a cleaner smoke flavor using dust instead of pellets. I normally go about 2 to 3 hrs. of smoke. Then I'll take a block off and try a slice. Not an end slice mind you, but maybe about a half an inch in. That way I'll know if the cheese is where I want it flavor wise. If it's not smokey enough then I'll put it back on. If it's done then I'll pull it off the smoker put it on a cooling rack and let it rest on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours. After it's rested I'll loosely cover it with plastic wrap and pop it into the fridge overnight. The next day I vacuum seal and store it in the vegetable bin.

You don't want to smoke cheese at temps over 70*. You risk melting or getting a case of the cheese sweats. Also if it's too cold then the cheese won't take on the smoke as quickly. 50* is ideal for me. If it starts getting too hot or cold just pull the cheese off the smoker. Let it rest and repeat your process when it's cooler. If by chance I get any oils seeping out of the cheese(cheese sweats) then I'll pat them off using a clean paper towel before sealing. Like crazymoon crazymoon I've eaten cheese that is 4 to 5 years old without issue. If I do see something that looks like mold you can slice it off and eat the rest.

BTW I like to use the 8oz blocks from Cabot.

Have fun and your in for a treat.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Freezing harder cheeses like cheddar and swiss can change the texture. Think crumbly and harder to get a good slice.

I use apple dust when I smoke cheese. I've found that I get a cleaner smoke flavor using dust instead of pellets. I normally go about 2 to 3 hrs. of smoke. Then I'll take a block off and try a slice. Not an end slice mind you, but maybe about a half an inch in. That way I'll know if the cheese is where I want it flavor wise. If it's not smokey enough then I'll put it back on. If it's done then I'll pull it off the smoker put it on a cooling rack and let it rest on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours. After it's rested I'll loosely cover it with plastic wrap and pop it into the fridge overnight. The next day I vacuum seal and store it in the vegetable bin.

You don't want to smoke cheese at temps over 70*. You risk melting or getting a case of the cheese sweats. Also if it's too cold then the cheese won't take on the smoke as quickly. 50* is ideal for me. If it starts getting too hot or cold just pull the cheese off the smoker. Let it rest and repeat your process when it's cooler. If by chance I get any oils seeping out of the cheese(cheese sweats) then I'll pat them off using a clean paper towel before sealing. Like crazymoon crazymoon I've eaten cheese that is 4 to 5 years old without issue. If I do see something that looks like mold you can slice it off and eat the rest.

BTW I like to use the 8oz blocks from Cabot.

Have fun and your in for a treat.
Thank you very detailed...As far as the 70* temp and under... is that obtained just by the smoke, or might you have to briefly have to "plug it in" depending on the outside temp? Can you just as easy throw it in a covered gas grill(Not turned on) along with the smoke tube/tray? Is there a special place you get yr pellets/dust?

Thank you very detailed...As far as the 70* temp and under... is that obtained just by the smoke, or might you have to briefly have to "plug it in" depending on the outside temp? Can you just as easy throw it in a covered gas grill(Not turned on) along with the smoke tube/tray? Is there a special place you get yr pellets/dust?

No heat involved just make sure what little heat is generated by the pellets or dust combined with the ambient temp doesn't exceed 70*.

Basically anything that will retain smoke and has an inlet and exhaust path for air to draft will work. Heck, some people cold smoke cheese in a cardboard box.

I got my last batch of dust from A-maze-n pellets before they sold out to a bigger company. Now most people who want dust make their own. There are plenty of good threads on the forum that explain the process of making dust, but in a nutshell it's just soaking the pellets in water, spreading them out on a cookie sheet and letting them dry. If you go this route find a good brand of pellets that are 100% of the wood you're looking for - no fillers. I can't think of the name members here like to use(sorry). If I remember I post it up.

Chris

No heat involved just make sure what little heat is generated by the pellets or dust combined with the ambient temp doesn't exceed 70*.

Basically anything that will retain smoke and has an inlet and exhaust path for air to draft will work. Heck, some people cold smoke cheese in a cardboard box.

I got my last batch of dust from A-maze-n pellets before they sold out to a bigger company. Now most people who want dust make their own. There are plenty of good threads on the forum that explain the process of making dust, but in a nutshell it's just soaking the pellets in water, spreading them out on a cookie sheet and letting them dry. If you go this route find a good brand of pellets that are 100% of the wood you're looking for - no fillers. I can't think of the name members here like to use(sorry). If I remember I post it up.

Chris
Thanks I did find some 100% pellets..BBQ Delight.....

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky