Slow-Roasted Beef (America's Test Kitchen Style)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking4fun

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Solon, Ohio
So I've been doing the slow-roasted beef (using eye of round from Costco) lately - to rave reviews from my family. If you read the "why this works" from their cookbook, it explains that keeping the temp low for longer times allows the enzymes to tenderize the meat. Since we're all used to smoking our meats at 225* (usually), it seems like the smoker would be an equally great device to use to roast this tough piece of meat...but my question is: in the ATK recipe, once the meat hits your preferred temp (for rare/med-rare), you are supposed to turn off the oven - do you think this will work in the smoker if I turned off the element in the smoker or would the exhaust hole cause the cooker chamber to cool too quickly to maintain enough heat for the roast to raise the final ~10*? Also, since the final temp is fairly low, should I keep the smoke rolling during the "final" cooking phase with the heating element off?

Attachments

• Slow-Roasted Beef Recipe - ATK.pdf
    165.5 KB · Views: 18
And a follow-up question - if I sear all sides before I throw it in the smoker, will the roast pick up smoke even though the outer surface is seared?

And a follow-up question - if I sear all sides before I throw it in the smoker, will the roast pick up smoke even though the outer surface is seared?
I'm no expert by any means. But it would seem to me that if you shut down your smoker but dont open the lid(or if you do,do it quick) then 10° of carryover wont be a problem. Gotta keep it hotter than removing from a smoker that's already warm versus the walk to your house then a tent with foil right?

I also dont think that if you sear it that it wont take smoke. It's a certain temp meat stops recieving smoke. Although imo I'd sear at the end if you wanna sear. Doing it at the beginning will raise your meat temp too fast and then you will have less time to smoke.

My 2 cents

I don't know if I'm reading and understanding this right. If you're going to bake/smoke an eye, chucky, or sirloin tip roast in a 225º oven for a few hours until it reaches a IT of 125º it's going to be tough. Slice it real thin, great for sammys, that's about it. Now if you were take that roast after it had been smoked to 125º and sous vide it for 40-50 hours at 131º you might have something that'd be chewable at the dinner table. Is this about smoking the eye for sandwich meat, or something you're going to eat with a knife and fork? RAY

It really is pretty tender after salting 24 hours in advance and roasting as it calls for in the recipe...without sous vide for 2 days. I'm just trying to figure out if this will work in the smoker - especially if I sear first...or if my smoker will hold heat after turning it off like my oven will.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky