Simplicity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattswimbikerun

Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
World wide
Looking for a forum for those of us that like or need to keep things simple when it comes to smoking. Whatever the reason may be: time, money, energy, situation, etcetera…

Starting with some Bratwurst this evening. Electric smoker, temp at 225, hickory chips at start and every hour, water pan filled with beer/water mix. Thoughts?

if you are using the MES you may need to put a palm full of chips in closer to every 30 -45 min.

If you want real simplicity buy the amazen smoker. no chips to fool with. pour the saw dust or pellets in the tray light it . set it in your smoker and forget it. dust will smoke 3-4 hrs pellets for 8-10 hrs.

The water pan needs nothing but water. i have tried various juices and concoctions  and have not found that they add any flavor. Drink the beer and enjoy your smoke

I have been using the MES for over 5 years and have gotten to where i don't even use thermometers on brisket or butts. use them on prime rib and fowl.  This hobby is not near as complicated as people make it out to be.

Reactions: mattswimbikerun
Foam you didn't go paint your x on marie laveaus grave.

Definitely will drink the beer. Using the MES. A little nervous about over smoking…
as long as you are using only a palm full of chips at a time you will get the right amount of smoke. Leave the exhaust vent fully open.  if you can smell smoke it's smoking.

us folks in Louisiana eat most anything that crawls walks flys or swims But this guy does not eat goat or lamb. tryed it many different ways and just don't like it.

us folks in Louisiana eat most anything that crawls walks flys or swims But this guy does not eat goat or lamb. tryed it many different ways and just don't like it.
Goat on a spit over an open fire... 
drool.gif

Seems 225 is a little high. Meat probe was at 140 within the first hour but at least none split yet. Turned temp down to 200. Thoughts?

Fixed the problem by switching from beer to whiskey. Seems my ability to smoke is in direct relation to what I'm drinking [emoji]128513[/emoji]. Actually, all is well. Smokin at 215 with a nice steady smoke and brat has not split. 45 min to go…

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky