Simple Steak II - The Cowboy Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flatrate

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 8, 2015
Michigan
So I did my second experiment with the Grill Grates, and I am very glad I got them after thinking about them on and off for a couple years. Anyways so I got this Cowboy Ribeye coming in at 2.5 inches thick and 2.55lbs.

tn_IMG_1308.JPG

tn_IMG_1309.JPG

I was going to use my usual Cattleman's Steakhouse but remembered I had an untested shaker of Killer Hogs Steak Rub in the spice cabinet. I gave it a taste test before applying it to the beef. Let me tell ya I was mad, mad at myself for not trying it sooner. Oh it is good, kinda zesty had a powerful pepper and garlic notes with some other goodness I can't describe. But it was easy to tell if you got crazy with the stuff it could get overpowering real quick.

So I went with a mix of the two, it was amazing the smell when it hit the hot grill, the taste was spot on.

tn_IMG_1316.JPG

tn_IMG_1318.JPG

On the grill.
tn_IMG_1320.JPG

After about a 10 minute rest under some loose foil.
tn_IMG_1326.JPG

Thats all I got, I am trying to remember to take more picture while I cook, and work on my pic taking skills.

Hope everyone has a great day, and as always thanks for looking!

Dave.

Man that looks good! Looks like those grill grates are elevating your steak game!

Red
Thanks Red. Thats one of my goals this outdoor cooking season. Plus I am trying to improve my Weber gas grill, I only use it for steak, I did chicken on it once and burgers on it once. Every other cook has been steak in the 5-6 years I've had it.

Dave

Dang, that is a nice looking thick steak! Awesome cook, nice job on that!

I have that Killer Hogs Steak Rub but haven’t tried it yet… need to change that cause it sounds like it’s a real winner!

Reactions: Flatrate
Dang, that is a nice looking thick steak! Awesome cook, nice job on that!

I have that Killer Hogs Steak Rub but haven’t tried it yet… need to change that cause it sounds like it’s a real winner!
Thanks Brother! I do like steak on the thicker side usually inch and a quarter to inch an a half. I planned these since I was on vacation from work and the girlfriend!

Please try that Killer Hogs Steak rub and let me know what you think. Killer Hogs has The Steak Rub like I used, and a Steak & Chop Rub but I don't know if there is a difference?

Dave

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Looks great from here. The only thing missing is the sliced shot.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great from here. The only thing missing is the sliced shot.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris and I totally agree, trust me I am trying. One of my reasons with my simple cooks this week is to get in the grove with the pictures and posting it properly. I truly do want to be an active and contributing member here!

Dave.

Reactions: gmc2003

I truly do want to be an active and contributing member here!

Dave.
Well you are actively contributing to my craving for a thick steak with this post!!!
That is a great looking hunk of awesome right there. And Malcom Reed lives in the next town over from me. He has a BBQ supply shop that I hit pretty regular.

Jim

Well you are actively contributing to my craving for a thick steak with this post!!!
That is a great looking hunk of awesome right there. And Malcom Reed lives in the next town over from me. He has a BBQ supply shop that I hit pretty regular.

Jim
Thanks Jim! I really like Mr. Reed's stuff, I use his BBQ Rub a lot, have for awhile now. The Steak Rub mentioned here will get regular rotation as well. Off the top of my head the only thing from Killer Hog that I didn't care for was the AP Rub. If you like heavy salt try it out. I use salt sparingly, but can't stand too much of it.

Dave

Reactions: JLeonard
Sheeeesh man that looks incredible! Absolutely slayed it. I'm curious, how long did you let the steak sit in its seasoning before cooking? I recently learned how to dry brine steaks with salt, which has been fantastic. I'm curious if you would do a similar dry brining process for a seasoning blend like this.

Wow Dave, you absolutely nailed that steak. One beautiful hunk of beef right there!! I wanna sit down to the next one you cook though :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Wow Dave, you absolutely nailed that steak. One beautiful hunk of beef right there!! I wanna sit down to the next one you cook though :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thank you Robert, very nice of you to say. If your ever in Southern Michigan it would be a pleasure to host you!

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky