Simple question from an obvious newb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FlyFishinX2

Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Hershey,PA
When doing burgers on a pellet grill what do you do to get more smoke flavor than what normally comes from cooking at "cooking temps" ?

Hope that makes sense.

^Exactly. It's called reverse sear and it is tasty. Can also be done with steaks etc. Try smoking at 225 until meat is 10-15 degrees away from desired finish temp. Then sear on pellet grill/gas grill/cast iron skillet whatever you have that gets very hot.

If you have the time and want something a bit different and special, check out beer can burgers from the BBQ Pit Boys They are on my list for this summer on my pellet smoker. Some smoked cheese might get you where you want to be flavorwise too. For "normal" burgers what GMC and BigW suggested is the best option.

Reactions: FlyFishinX2
From a pellet guy.......
The smoke flavor is there it's just not what most people want or expect (Remember, pellets are wood so it WILL influence the flavor of what is being cooked) also the type of pellet seems to make a big difference in flavor (100% Hickory, Mesquite, or Pecan)

To increase the smoke aroma & flavor of your meat using AMPS or similar devices that generate smoke from pellets or wood chips would be an option while doing a reverse sear type of cook. I've never done a reverse sear on a pellet grill with hamburger patties. Maybe it's time? Now you got me thinking...........

I have no clue what an AMP or a tube is.

Don't know a ton about pellet smokers but if you are looking for more smoke flavor I see a lot of guys put the tubes in there for added smoke.

From a pellet guy.......
The smoke flavor is there it's just not what most people want or expect (Remember, pellets are wood so it WILL influence the flavor of what is being cooked) also the type of pellet seems to make a big difference in flavor (100% Hickory, Mesquite, or Pecan)

To increase the smoke aroma & flavor of your meat using AMPS or similar devices that generate smoke from pellets or wood chips would be an option while doing a reverse sear type of cook. I've never done a reverse sear on a pellet grill with hamburger patties. Maybe it's time? Now you got me thinking...........

I do burgers on my pit boss for maybe 1 hour at "smoke" then turn it up to 350 to finish. Just did these stuffed burgers last weekend just that way. Certainly not the only way, maybe not the right or best way but it works for me.
20190622_180503.jpg
20190622_180921.jpg

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky