shoulder: skin on or skin off?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

camocook

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Phila. Pa.
I've Read Several Threads On Pork Shoulder. None Of Which Mentioned Anything About The Skin. The Novice That I Am Thinks There Would Be Better Smoke Penetration With Out. Does It Matter That Much?

I've never done any with the skin on but I've seen some on the tube cut slits in it before they smoked. Sorry that's all I know about it..

Thanks For The Come Back Gypc. Thats Sounds Like It'll Work. Now I Wonder If The Skin Gets Crispy With The Slow Cooking.

Camo...from what I've read so far it's best to remove the outside rind (skin) leaving a thin layer of fat...for better smoke penetration....just my .02 worth
icon_biggrin.gif

I left the skin on ONCE, we didn't like it as well. I take skin off, better smoke penetration and rub gets in better.

If your in a "testing" mood, do 1/2 and 1/2.

good luck

Hey Camocook, skin will not get crispy in the smoker, remove it so the fat cap will melt off (baste) and you'll get better smoke penetration also, good luck and your about due for some pic's!!
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

I have to agree with the others, if chicken skin won't crisp at smoking temps, pigskin sure won't.

Deep fry it and serve on the side.
icon_lol.gif

Is that my heart talking to me?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky