Should I freeze my meatloaf before putting it on the smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey

This is the recipe in question. I'm hoping to be able to put it directly on the grates but I'm worried about it falling through. Should I let it sit in the freezer for a few hours before putting it to smoke?

I've put them on foil to start and slide it out when it firms up . I've also completely wrapped in foil to hold a round shape , then removed after firm .

I put mine in the freezer for 15-30 minutes after forming the loaf to firm back up a bit. Here's a link to one of mine. It has another link in it with complete instructions

Reactions: 912smoker
I use these cheap perforated foil pans for meat loaf, and a lot of other stuff. In my pellet grill, I put the loaf on the top rack, and put a large foil pan on the bottom rack to catch the grease.

mm1.jpg

Either Q-matz or Frogmats are excellent for such purpose. Also great for doing jerky, nuts, or anything else that may fall apart slightly while smoking.

I'm with Jake in the freezer club.
Line a loaf pan with seran wrap then add mixture. Place in freezer 30 minutes or so them remove formed loaf to a mesh mat and on to smoker

I have never smoked a meatloaf in a pan, and I never turn them. I do use a rack like this one or one with a finer grid spacing. I do let it set-up in the fridge for and hour or two. Here are some photos start to finish.
rgI5qzg.jpg
Xouab4g.jpg
S5UPTe8.jpg
37RPJ1u.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
Either Q-matz or Frogmats are excellent for such purpose. Also great for doing jerky, nuts, or anything else that may fall apart slightly while smoking.
This is what I do on my recteq. I usually do 3 at a time and freeze 2 of them when finished cooking.

I use the cheap disposable aluminum meatloaf pans then after it has smoked about an hour or till it looks like it will hold together then I cut the four corners and fold them down

No pan here. Just straight on the grate. Here's a five pounder(on the right) with a few other goodies on my 26" Kettle:

1638151655553.png

Chris

Reactions: Workaholic
No rack or pan for me. Of course, I'm weird, I use a bacon weave, like it was a fatty. Then glaze it at about 120 or so. No flipping, no moving until I take a pair of spatulas out there to pull it off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky