Sharing my chicken brine recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Hello all,
You have all given me so much info when it comes to smoking and cooking in general, I thought I'd give back by sharing my chicken brine recipe. A little background on this:
I grew up in Ohio, and my grandmother lived in a town called Versailles. We used to go to an event called Poultry Days. The cooks would always be misting the chicken with some kind of mixture while it grilled that gave the chicken a good flavor and kept it moist, and supposedly my grandmother got hold of the recipe from someone. I'm not sure how true that is, but that's what I heard at least.

Anyways, I took the recipe and started using it as a brine. When I first started doing this chicken many years ago, i would brine it overnight....and then after I put the chicken on the grill, I would take the brine mixture and bring to a boil. I would then dunk the chicken in the brine every 15 minutes or so to keep the chicken moist. I would also add a stick of real butter to the brine mixture when i brought it to a boil. However, I eventually did an experiment and found that with dark meat chicken, and a long soak in the brine, the dunking really wasn't necessary. The chicken stays plenty moist without any additional dunking or spraying. I used to brine the chicken just overnight, but I have since gone to a two day brine...I just feel it really penetrates the chicken and makes the flavor have that much more impact...and I notice no degradation of the meat texture. I hope you enjoy this. If anyone decides to try this please let me know what you think.

Brine recipe (the base):
3 cups white vinegar (you can also use Apple Cider Vinegar, but I find white vinegar gives a better flavor for my tastes)

1 cup water

6 teaspoons salt (regular table salt)

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

Lots of garlic salt (I use the Lawry's brand with the parsley flakes in it) (I have no measurement for this....I just shake a ton in until it looks good!)
mix really well until salt is dissolved
That's the base mix. At this point you can get a little creative with additional seasonings. I'll often throw in a little bit of whole peppercorns, some additional garlic powder, and some thyme. There are no measurements really for additional spices....just eyeball it. The base mix is the most important part.

It's pretty simple, but I've had lots of people tell me this is the best grilled chicken they've had. Like I said, a brine overnight is good...but I've even gone to a two day brine. I never cook white meat chicken, only dark meat thighs and legs, so I can't say what this brine would be like on chicken breast.

Enjoy!

There is a tang to it, but in a good way. Not overpowering, just deliciousness. If you try it out let me know what you think.

It’s really not. Just trust me. I’ve never had one person tell me they don’t like it. Apple Cider vinegar will be a little milder than white but I prefer white vinegar. Sometimes I’ve done a mix of both.

My only question is this, with all that vinegar does it make the chicken over powering with that flavor?
I'd love to try it but I also don't want to waste the chicken. Don't get me wrong I like vinegar but just afraid that it will be over bearing.

Thanks for sharing. I’ll bookmarked your recipe to give it a try. I’ve been told pickle juice is a great marinade for chicken so this should be similar.

Reactions: bgaviator
Thanks for sharing. I’ll bookmarked your recipe to give it a try. I’ve been told pickle juice is a great marinade for chicken so this should be similar.

I've been using pickle juice to marinade chicken breast for a couple years now. Really like it.

Chris

Sounds like a good brine. Thanks for sharing

Point for sure
Chris

Just curious if anyone’s been able to try my brine and what did you think?

Just saw this for the first time. I bookmarked and printed. Also from Ohio and will give it a shot and report back. Still looking for "The One" grilled chicken recipe.

I agree with your takeaways. Spraying/dunking is waste and need more than one day in the brine. I have been doing almost a week for my jerk chicken (dry brine) and is the best chicken I ever made, and I have made A LOT! Very interesting how much vinegar used here.

I cringe about using tons of garlic salt with your brine. The garlic salt seasonings are loaded with salt.I might try this recipe but maybe with garlic powder. Any comments.
It is a salt and vinegar heavy brine. But very flavorful and chicken stays moist. I use garlic powder as well. Can’t ever have too much garlic

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky