Serving Tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
Just finished a serving tray. Made it out of branches around the yard and epoxy. My first time working with epoxy so I’m a little proud of it.
Thanks for looking. IMG_4026.jpeg

I love that ! Using the stuff out of the yard is something I do too .
You should be proud of that , it's fantastic .

That is soooooo cool, I would love write of how you did that!
I didn’t take pictures along the way, it started off as a test and I wasn’t sure it would work out. Basically I built a form out of some scrap MDF a little bigger the what I wanted. Lined everything with Tyvek tape, used silicone chalk in all the seams to prevent the epoxy from leaking.
Gathered up a bunch of branches and some apple pieces from my smoking wood pile. Cut them down to about 1 1/4” and stripped off the bark.
Then it just a matter of putting the branches into the form, mix the epoxy and pour it in. I had to get creative as many of the branch pieces started to float.
After it cured, I ran it through the planner. I ended up taking it down to about an inch thick. I suspect I took it out of the mold early because a couple days after I planed it down, it started to warp. I ended taking it down to 3/4”.
I used a router to hog out a little in the center so there would be a lip around the edge.
After that it’s a matter of sanding. I went from 60 grit to 1200.
If I was to do this again I would seal all the Branch pieces with polyurethane. The little bit of moisture left in the wood created a ton of bubbles in the epoxy.

Reactions: clifish and chopsaw
Nice serving tray. That is something to be proud of.
I really like working with the 2 part epoxy,

Did my " SandBar " bar top that way .
Using a torch lightly or a hairdryer. or even blowing on with your warm breath will bring the tiny bobbles to the top and burst.

David

Reactions: culpepersmoke
many of the branch pieces started to float.
I've seen guys build the form , then put a base of epoxy in the bottom and add the wood . When it starts to set , they add the rest of the epoxy .
I haven't worked with it yet . I worry about the VOC . How's the smell ?

Reactions: DRKsmoking
It wasn’t bad. I ran my dust collection system to draw out some of the fumes. Since I’m in N. Michigan I had to crank up the garage furnace as the instructions said to keep it over 70 degrees. After I poured, I turned off the dust collection cranked the heat and let it go.

I've seen guys build the form , then put a base of epoxy in the bottom and add the wood . When it starts to set , they add the rest of the epoxy .

That is what I had to do with my bar top . I did a test run and the items would float. So in the bar boarder i layered all the sand and the items where I wanted . Poured in the first layer and made sure all was placed right after the first pour. Used a very light heat to bring up the air bubbles . Than made second batch and poured over the first and let it find level as it poured over the wood edge. The pour in total is approx. 3/8" thick

And I did not find that the 2 part epoxy let off a strong over powering smell at all.

DSC_9015.JPG DSC_9016.JPG
DSC_9017.JPG DSC_9018.JPG

DSC_9019.JPG DSC_9020.JPG
DSC_9014.JPG

David

. Poured in the first layer and made sure all was placed right after the first pour. Used a very light heat to bring up the air bubbles . Than made second batch and poured over the first
There ya go . That's the way to do it . Looks great David .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
made from Ash
Nice . Gotta love the boring beetle damage on Ash .
I just took mine down . Mostly for firewood , but have some cross cuts I want to do something with .

It wasn’t bad. I ran my dust collection system to draw out some of the fumes. Since I’m in N. Michigan I had to crank up the garage furnace as the instructions said to keep it over 70 degrees. After I poured, I turned off the dust collection cranked the heat and let it go.
My shop is in the basement . I have an 1100 CFM dust collection system and a exhaust fan to outside .
Biggest problem is nothing wants to dry down there , and if I run the exhaust it sucks any heat out .
I'm assuming that stuff has a hardener that gets mixed in ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky