Second smoke on 1050

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ksmith9

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
Hey everyone, my first smoke was a success a few days ago, so I went to winco today and bought beef ribs, prime roast, and a small brisket. When I got home I threw them all on the 1050 and placed my roast under my brisket in a tray. My intention is to slice really thin and make French dips with that. The ribs took about 3 1/2 hours, the roast took about 4.5 hrs and then i cranked up the heat to 350 because I was also making chicken gyros for our actual dinner. The brisket I pulled at 203 which took about 6 hours. I then wrapped in butcher paper for an hour and a half then sliced. Everything was perfect. I've never had food come out so moist on my pellet smoker. My brisket passed the limp test, the pull test and more importantly the taste test. When i started this hobby 2 years ago this is what I was hoping I'd be able to produce. Without further ado here are my pics.
20211009_152358.jpg
20211009_152400.jpg
20211009_175449.jpg
20211009_192805.jpg
20211009_192812.jpg
20211009_193745.jpg
20211009_200341.jpg
20211009_211713.jpg

I saw a post about homemade crunchwraps, so I'm going to chop up my brisket and make those for dinner probably Monday. Hoping to borrow my dad's meat slicer on the roast and ribs were just cheap. I have decided I like pork ribs better than beef. Can't wait to try a smoked corn bread, smoked lemon bars, brisket Sheppard pie. I'm going to do another smoke on Monday to make a smoked Pastelon which is like a puerto Rican lasagna. I'm so f-ing pumped at this cook!

Hey everyone, my first smoke was a success a few days ago, so I went to winco today and bought beef ribs, prime roast, and a small brisket. When I got home I threw them all on the 1050 and placed my roast under my brisket in a tray. My intention is to slice really thin and make French dips with that. The ribs took about 3 1/2 hours, the roast took about 4.5 hrs and then i cranked up the heat to 350 because I was also making chicken gyros for our actual dinner. The brisket I pulled at 203 which took about 6 hours. I then wrapped in butcher paper for an hour and a half then sliced. Everything was perfect. I've never had food come out so moist on my pellet smoker. My brisket passed the limp test, the pull test and more importantly the taste test. When i started this hobby 2 years ago this is what I was hoping I'd be able to produce. Without further ado here are my pics.View attachment 512903View attachment 512904View attachment 512905View attachment 512906View attachment 512907View attachment 512908View attachment 512909View attachment 512910
I saw a post about homemade crunchwraps, so I'm going to chop up my brisket and make those for dinner probably Monday. Hoping to borrow my dad's meat slicer on the roast and ribs were just cheap. I have decided I like pork ribs better than beef. Can't wait to try a smoked corn bread, smoked lemon bars, brisket Sheppard pie. I'm going to do another smoke on Monday to make a smoked Pastelon which is like a puerto Rican lasagna. I'm so f-ing pumped at this cook!
Your review now…. Does/did it taste as great as it looks and how is the smoke flavor profile to you?? Inquiring minds want to know.. Great job so far though…

Char-Griller 980 GF… Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Zorg
Great work! Those are definitely the type of smokes that get your juices flowing…pun intended. You should feel stoked, it all looks amazing!

Your review now…. Does/did it taste as great as it looks and how is the smoke flavor profile to you?? Inquiring minds want to know.. Great job so far though…

Char-Griller 980 GF… Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

+1 here OP - quite visually appealing but what's the opinion on finished product flavor? Also what charcoal and flavoring wood(s), if any, were used?

That MB 1050 is something that's been tickling my brain as something to replace my 16" diameter modded patio offset smoker as I keep getting more physically limited.

Hey everyone, my first smoke was a success a few days ago, so I went to winco today and bought beef ribs, prime roast, and a small brisket. When I got home I threw them all on the 1050 and placed my roast under my brisket in a tray. My intention is to slice really thin and make French dips with that. The ribs took about 3 1/2 hours, the roast took about 4.5 hrs and then i cranked up the heat to 350 because I was also making chicken gyros for our actual dinner. The brisket I pulled at 203 which took about 6 hours. I then wrapped in butcher paper for an hour and a half then sliced. Everything was perfect. I've never had food come out so moist on my pellet smoker. My brisket passed the limp test, the pull test and more importantly the taste test. When i started this hobby 2 years ago this is what I was hoping I'd be able to produce. Without further ado here are my pics.View attachment 512903View attachment 512904View attachment 512905View attachment 512906View attachment 512907View attachment 512908View attachment 512909View attachment 512910
That all looks fantastic to me!

If you can find slab of beef plate ribs or a nice slab of short ribs you will likely enjoy them 10X more than those beef back ribs. I almost feel like beef back ribs are a gimmick since they are soo boney and usually expensive.

Can't wait to see what you make next!

+1 here OP - quite visually appealing but what's the opinion on finished product flavor? Also what charcoal and flavoring wood(s), if any, were used?

That MB 1050 is something that's been tickling my brain as something to replace my 16" diameter modded patio offset smoker as I keep getting more physically limited.

Flavor was everything I hoped for. Juiciest stuff I've ever made. I put about 2 handfuls of pecan at the beginning then forgot to load more. My homemade BBQ sauce is a play on black dip, and the smoke went perfect. My wife and mom didn't understand my obsession on smoking until this cook. And the fact that I can take my meat out crank the 1050 to 450 in a matter of minutes and then throw the meat on for a sear is out of this world. Way better flavor than I've ever has on my pellet smoker, and I didn't even get to do a brine or overnight rub. I sliced my roast thin today then dipped it in its juices to try and I'll never be the same. I'm going to smoke a whole turkey this weekend and try smoked cornbread stuffing as well. Worth every penny I spent. I would have paid retail and still been happy.

Flavor was everything I hoped for. Juiciest stuff I've ever made. I put about 2 handfuls of pecan at the beginning then forgot to load more. My homemade BBQ sauce is a play on black dip, and the smoke went perfect. My wife and mom didn't understand my obsession on smoking until this cook. And the fact that I can take my meat out crank the 1050 to 450 in a matter of minutes and then throw the meat on for a sear is out of this world. Way better flavor than I've ever has on my pellet smoker, and I didn't even get to do a brine or overnight rub. I sliced my roast thin today then dipped it in its juices to try and I'll never be the same. I'm going to smoke a whole turkey this weekend and try smoked cornbread stuffing as well. Worth every penny I spent. I would have paid retail and still been happy.

Nice work on the meat and flavors. It's amazing stuff we make isnt it!? haha

Let us know if you have any questions about the turkey. Every meat has it's quirks and whole poultry seems simple but has some big quirks, especially whole bird skin on.

If you haven't already researched it you will likely want to brine that turkey or inject it to keep it juicy.
Also smoking at 325F or higher will ensure you get edible skin.
If you don't cooks skin on poultry at high enough temps the skin is absolutely rubber.

There's some other tricks to kind of work around it but the surefire no fuss method is to simply cook at a high enough temp.

I can't wait to see your bird! :D

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky