Second brisket today - Questions from a nervous cooker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark W

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Hi all,

I'm making my second brisket ever today. The first one I made months ago turned out very well, the only minor issue with it was that the flat was just a little on the dry side, not too bad at all though.

I started this one at 1:30 AM, like I did the last one. This one is 12 pounds. I have been cooking at 225 in my Masterbuilt electric. I am going to wrap it like I did the last one. When should I wrap it? It has been on for 10.5 hours and temp in the flat just hit 160. I think I should wrap it now, correct?

My understanding of wrapping is it’s to help get through the stall, prevent any possible over smoking, help tenderize and help the color of the meat stay where you want it. That being said to help get through the stall it seemed like you wrapped it at a good time and you are well on your way.

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it. Man do I love good brisket! I especially love burnt ends. I'll be making those. So, now that it's wrapped, no more smoke is necessary, right?
I have my temp probe in the thicker part of the flat, is that the best place for it? Now it's just a matter of waiting for it to get to 200 degrees? Any guesstimates as to how much longer that should be? I am now at almost 12 hours and the temp is at 161. I think maybe we're going to be eating late?:emoji_laughing:

I really enjoy this process, I just get really nervous cooking brisket! When I cook ribs the difference between good ribs and great ribs is moderate, the difference between good chicken and great chicken is also moderate, but the difference between good brisket and great brisket is HUGE!

Now it's just a matter of waiting for it to get to 200 degrees?

It's a matter of waiting for it to get tender. That could happen at 190 or at 210. If you just pick a random temp to pull it, then it could be perfect - or overcooked or under cooked.

Reactions: Mark W
It's a matter of waiting for it to get tender. That could happen at 190 or at 210. If you just pick a random temp to pull it, then it could be perfect - or overcooked or under cooked.
Thanks.

So, the flat seems tender at right around 200. But the point is not. Put the flat to rest, and cube up the point with sauce and put it back in the smoker to make burnt ends? Does that sound right? Do burnt ends need to rest as long as a brisket that is not cut up?

If you seperate the flat and then point let the point rest too before you cube it up still gonna loose moisture if you cube it right after you take it out. But yes once you put them back and take them out again they won't need to rest as long since they are smaller and no longer one big piece of meat.

Reactions: Mark W
I’m cooking on an OC Wrangler and the bottom of mine tends to get too crispy. Any of y’all know how to avoid that? Should I be cooking fat side down?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky