Second Brisket Attempt on Masterbuilt Propane - Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

replevin3018

Original poster
Mar 3, 2016
Metro-Detroit, MI
Hey everyone, been lurking for awhile and figured I would start posting. I'm going to try my hand at another full packer on my Masterbuilt Propand 2-Door. The last time I tried it, I tried to power trough the stall and it smoked for almost 22 hours and the flat and point were fairly dry. I think my issues were two-fold: I put my temp probe in the thick section where the point and flat double up (this made me think that it threw my temps off), and I didn't wrap for my first time.

This smoke I'm planning on putting the temp probe in the flat that isn't covered by the point, going to wrap at the stall, and I'm thinking of slicing off the point for burnt ends.

Anyone out there, with a similar setup, that has some tips or advice for me? I really appreciate it, this website is a wealth of knowledge and the community seems very friendly and helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know how big your last packer was but 22 hrs. seams like a long smoke.  I have a similar smoker(propane) that I've done many briskets in.

1)  Fat cap up or down your choice. ( in my propane unit I normally put fat cap down to shield from heat.In my offset I put fat cap up)

2) Just start smokin it. Smoke it till you get the color and bark you like. Don't even worry about probing it as the IT temp doesn't matter at this point. When you get the color and bark you like (maybe 6-8 hrs) then go ahead and wrap and insert probe where the point meets the flat. Just be sure the prob is in the meat and not in the fat seam. When you get close to the desired IT you want, probe the brisket with a wooden skewer, it should slide in like going through butter. Bottom line is cook till probe tender not IT temp. Each brisket will probe at different temps,  start probing with the skewer around 195. 

Also, keep in mind on your propane unit the heat goes directly up the center of the unit. You will notice a big temp difference from center to the sides. I always set my chamber temp probe just below the brisket in the center and go by that temp reading. 

3) If your going to do burnt ends 195 would be a good temp to separate the point and slice into chunks, then put back in smoker to finish.

4) As far as the flat and point being dry. Yeah it could be you over cooked it or more that likely it could have been the grade of meat you were using. Meat selection is very important. If the flat is very, very lean to begin with, it's gonna be dry no mater what you do IMHO.

The only other thing I can add is just don't try to over engineer or over think things. If your doing low and slow(225-275 or so) nothing happens fast. Just try to keep your temps in a range and let things work.When I'm doing a brisket, I just try to maintain my cooking temp the best I can and i don't even look at the meat for the first 6-8 sometimes 10 hrs.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited:
Check which way the grain is running in the meat before cooking so you know which way to slice after its cooked. I put a probe in both pieces but the temps always even out. Then when mine are done cooking I wrap it with foil (I don't wrap mine when cooking) and then towels and put in the cooler to rest for an hour or so than pull it out and cut point off cube it for ends and put the flat back in the cooler till everything else is done. I have found this rest step to be crucial in keeping the meat moist. That's how I do it anyway and it always comes out very good!

Last edited:
All, thanks for the advice. I was able to snag a nice 10lb brisket from my local Costco. I followed many of the tips you guys provided, and it was a noticeable improvement this time around. I wrapped the meat at the stall, then when I got to temp I separated the point and flat. The point became burnt ends, and the flat rested for almost two hours and sliced much better than my last attempt. Thanks for all the help gents. I'll make sure to take some pictures next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky