Seasoning a Wok.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good morning, all!
I wasn't sure where to put this. Is a Wok considered Discada?
Anyway first the backstory. I'd seen folks doing stir-fry on flat-tops so I thought I'd try it in a big CI skillet.
It was OK but nothing to rave about:
stir fry kudu.jpg stir fry.jpg stir fry plate.jpg

So I set my "Amazon Queen" to work finding a 16" Wok with metal handles and she came through as usual.
I've never used or owned a Wok but I'd read that they needed be seasoned initially much like a CI pan.
Here we go.
After washing with soapy water and rinsing well I put it over the fire.
new wok.jpg
Turned and moved it around "till it turned blue all over, then off the fire to cool with cold water. Sorry birds. Pool's closed...
blue.jpg cool.jpg
After rinsing well back to the fire for the oil treatment, moving around so it got the glaze all over.
oily.jpg Done and ready for a recipe. Wok spatula coming tomorrow.
done wok.jpg recipes.jpg

But wait, there's a bonus! I already had a fire going so that rib-eye roast in the freezer finally came out...
ribeye.jpg ribeye cut.jpg

Thanks for looking and have wonderful day!
Dan

Is that carbon steel? It looks good.. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine over the years.. my carbon steel one has little ridges inside of it.. just enough to start building the seasoning on it.

Is that carbon steel? It looks good.. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine over the years.. my carbon steel one has little ridges inside of it.. just enough to start building the seasoning on it.
I honestly don't know, kilo. All the specs said was "Hand hammered steel Cantonese wok" and it was cheap.
The ones that said they were carbon steel mostly had wood handles, which I didn't want.
I used instructions for seasoning a carbon steel one and it seemed to work. The inside is slick as a whistle.
We're excited about trying it out sometime this week.

Reactions: kilo charlie
I honestly don't know, kilo. All the specs said was "Hand hammered steel Cantonese wok" and it was cheap.
The ones that said they were carbon steel mostly had wood handles, which I didn't want.
I used instructions for seasoning a carbon steel one and it seemed to work. The inside is slick as a whistle.
We're excited about trying it out sometime this week.

You'll have fun with it!

Reactions: SmokyMose
A couple of great books if you want to get into wok cooking. Lots of info; background, styles and techniques, use and care. Great recipes
The Breath of a Wok: by Grace Young

Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: by Grace Young

Edit: it does not like the Amazon links I put in but that's where to find these books.

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky