Searing made easy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Down n out

Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
I have gotten a ton of great info from this site and a novice to most of what is here with little to offer. But I may have finally found something to give back. I love Sous Vide but hated the searing process ( torches ,cast iron pans etc..) 500 maybe 700 degs. with a torch in a small area. That is until I started to use my charcoal starting chimney. I have found it to be one of the easiest and most uniform ways to get a great sear in no time at all. I am able to achieve temps. over 1000 deg. and a sear happens in seconds. No blotting excess moisture needed at those temps. it adds to the sear and it reduces the risk of over cooking. The only draw back is the cooking area is small but when it only takes 2 minutes to sear a steak you can do a bunch before they cool from the bath. Everyone has a chimney just put a grill rack over it and away you go. Well I hope this helps someone give it a try.

Reactions: JJS and kruizer
I tried all (I think) methods to sear my stakes after cooking them SV. I used chimney method and on the grill over charcoal and not exactly liked it - it took a little longer to sear stakes which cooked them to medium.... My preferable method still using a torch and second method is very hot cast iron skillet with very good result. It's only one issue with the skillet method - it is little messy because I have to wash/clean a skillet and the stove surface. I planning to try a chimney method one more time though...

I tried all (I think) methods to sear my stakes after cooking them SV. I used chimney method and on the grill over charcoal and not exactly liked it - it took a little longer to sear stakes which cooked them to medium.... My preferable method still using a torch and second method is very hot cast iron skillet with very good result. It's only one issue with the skillet method - it is little messy because I have to wash/clean a skillet and the stove surface. I planning to try a chimney method one more time though...
Yeah thin cuts can be easily overcooked. I usually will put a little butter or non stick spray it seems to help the browning. Lately I just stick to thicker cuts.

One other solution is to reverse sear. I will do this with chicken and pork. I'll take them out of the freezer and sear them as soon as the outside is thawed but the center is still cold.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky