Search Results Sorted by Number of Replies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnmeyer

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Central Coast, CA
Is there a way to sort my search results so that those which have the most replies appear first? I want to smoke a brisket, and remembered a couple of really long threads (like some of Bear's posts) that contained great information. However, since "brisket" is such a common word, there are hundreds of posts.

I have not been able to find what I wanted, which makes this forum far less useful than it otherwise could be.

Like so many things on this forum, the use of this second-rate forum software sure makes it tough to get around and enjoy things. If you ever make more changes, for goodness sake, use vBulletin, like most other forums.

I sometimes have a hard time finding some things I'm looking for but with a little patience usually can find it. Or if not start a thread asking for the info you're looking for, usually someone pipes in and can direct you to exactly what you're looking for. Look in beef forum, the very first thread is about brisket, it's a good post.

Ryan

Is there a way to sort my search results so that those which have the most replies appear first? I want to smoke a brisket, and remembered a couple of really long threads (like some of Bear's posts) that contained great information. However, since "brisket" is such a common word, there are hundreds of posts.

I have not been able to find what I wanted, which makes this forum far less useful than it otherwise could be.

Like so many things on this forum, the use of this second-rate forum software sure makes it tough to get around and enjoy things. If you ever make more changes, for goodness sake, use vBulletin, like most other forums.
John, the old saying you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar comes to mind, just saying.

Reactions: chopsaw
Well If I cant find what I am looking for I just chickenit, yep wingit, it always turns out great and I normally learn stuff, sometimes I forget them after a number of years but not the bad parts lol

If I don't criticize the fairly significant deficiencies in this site's software, what hope do any of us have that they will fix things?

I used to post here daily, but after they broke the site with their upgrades eighteen months ago, it is now so hard to use, cluttered, and lacking basic forum features that I seldom come here now. It's too bad because there are some really good people in this forum.

I no longer recommend the forum to anyone and instead send them elsewhere.

Finally, I note that I did not get any suggestions on how to work around the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
johnmeyer johnmeyer when you click the search icon there is an option that drops down that says advanced. If you go in there you can do a more detailed search. You can search titles only as well as by members and all. Try that and if you need more help PM me and ill assist.

yeah nobody is forced to be here. If in your opinion it is second rate , why do you insist on tormenting yourself. Things must be really bad in Carmel valley.
Wow, this place now has some really nasty people. So sad to see that. Used to be so friendly.

I want to smoke a brisket, and remembered a couple of really long threads (like some of Bear's posts) that contained great information.
term " brisket " in search bar .
gary s in " member "
He has more info besides the one I linked .
Same search topic , member tallbm . Has a good thread on brisket as well .

The only "Brisket" I have in my "Step by Steps" is a Small Flat, because around my area Brisket is like Solid Gold!!
I would goto gary s gary s for anything Brisket.

Bear

johnmeyer johnmeyer when you click the search icon there is an option that drops down that says advanced. If you go in there you can do a more detailed search. You can search titles only as well as by members and all. Try that and if you need more help PM me and ill assist.
Thanks for that help. I have been using the Advanced search feature all the time. Here is what that looks like:
1590937407865.png

Now, here is what a standard "vBulletin" advanced search dialog looks like:

1590937481420.png

Note that in most other forum software you can look for threads with more than a certain number of replies, i.e., the "popular" threads (you can also do the reverse and search for threads with only a few replies).

While the drop down for "Find Threads with" is not shown in the screen cap, you can also sort the results by a huge number of criteria, including:
  • Relevancy
  • Title, Number of Replies
  • Numer of View
  • Thread Start Date
  • Last Post Date
  • User Name
  • Forum
You can search by user name in both forums, but the better forum software lets you search on only part of a user name. This is really useful if you remember that one of the most prolific members, "Bear," posted something that you want to read again. But, if you enter "Bear" as the search term and press Enter, you will get no results. Instead you have to either enter the correct name, or select it from a drop down list that appears when you start typing. The drop down sometimes works, but if you only remember the middle part of a name, you won't get it and since the drop down list doesn't scroll, you only get a few of what may be dozens of partial matches.

By contrast, in vBulletin (and most other forum software) you can enter "Bear" and you will get posts which include "Bearcarver," which is the person you are trying to find.

In other software you can find posts started by a certain person, not just those in which the person participated. Using Bearcarver's posts, this is really useful because he has created some posts (like his epic salmon post) that I have revisited many times.

So, I was hoping to find that some of these features were hidden, or that they could be easily added, but it appears that is not true.

If it was something that you had replied or responded to before, go to your settings then your content, is another way to find something.
I see you got what you were looking for though.

Reactions: chopsaw
johnmeyer johnmeyer that is the default advanced page. But if you click search threads at the top when you get there instead of search everything it will give you a new subset of search options. Just like if you click tags you can search threads by certain tag words.
Screenshot_2.jpg

See how that works.

johnmeyer johnmeyer that is the default advanced page. But if you click search threads at the top when you get there instead of search everything it will give you a new subset of search options. Just like if you click tags you can search threads by certain tag words.

See how that works.

Bingo!!!

Thank you, thank you. I totally missed that. It gives me exactly what I am looking for!

Since I've already been critical of this site's UI, I won't make any further comment other than to say that, at least for me, that sure is hard to find, non-intuitive, and not like anything else I've ever seen.

But now, thanks to you, I have my answer.

[edit] And here is the exact GaryS post I was looking for:

There were two others, like this enormous 31-page brisket thread:

which also have some great tips.

Last edited:
johnmeyer johnmeyer Im glad I can help. I dont always see these threads so PM me and ill definitely see it and can help out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky