Seagulls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
Grande Cache Alberta
Anyone have any ideas on how to discourage seagulls from hanging around. We have hundreds hanging around on the water making a heck of a racket at daybreak. We are in a provincial park so firearms are out of the question.

Way too many, would have to mortgage the house. What it looks like is they are feeding on insects Yesterday it was warm(17C) and this morning there is frost so I’m thinking the frost has killed off the insects and provided the gulls with breakfast. Sure hope the wind picks up!!

Bottle rockets work real good,especially whistling moon travelers.
They are federally protected here in the USA,dunno their status there.

Reactions: JC in GB
Isn't that what seagulls do? kinda like coyote howling at night here. I'll take mine over yours though. good luck.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Bottle rockets work real good,especially whistling moon travelers.
They are federally protected here in the USA,dunno their status there.
No fireworks in the park, fire hazard. Tried a Bear Banger, that got them off the water but what a racket as they were lifting off. They didn’t go far. Tried sneaking up on them through the bush and let the dog go, pandemonium. Seagulls everywhere! Again, got them moving but not far enough. Dog sure had a blast, didn’t know which way to go.

Plastic owl or other predatory birds.

RG

s-l400.jpg

Same issue and from my research the usual things work but only temporarily. IE pie tins, fake hawk, etc. Surprisingly they are intelligent. Particularly bad this year. I was told by a good source it is nearly impossible to control unless you change it up frequently. Best thing is something that moves. Just dug around and this looks good and may try it: http://www.birdbusters.com/shop/Holographic-Guardian-Owl.html

You need to draw them away from your location. I recommend fast-food French fries as the bait! Can you talk someone into opening a McDonalds some distance upwind from your location?

I actually had some on my pond( believe it or not in pa) about a month ago,there was a pair of Canadian geese that chased them with in an hour, haven't seen them since.

Here in central Ohio we never had seagulls until the winter of 1977 or maybe 1978. Not sure but I think all the open water north of us (like Lake Erie) froze over so they came down here, and never left. They seem to do just fine for themselves in parking lots.

Here in central Ohio we never had seagulls until the winter of 1977 or maybe 1978. Not sure but I think all the open water north of us (like Lake Erie) froze over so they came down here, and never left. They seem to do just fine for themselves in parking lots.
Yeah,the Feds say they're migratory birds and thus are protected.I guess migrating from the McD's parking lot on one side of town to the Burger King parking lot on the other side of town makes them migratory.Same as the damn "Canadian" geese....

There a hospital here that regularly sends out a loud clapping sound on a timer, maybe every hour, that scares off pigeons and other birds sitting around on the building. Don't know if it would work for you, but it's an idea. Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky