Seafood Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajunsmoke13

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 7, 2008
Wanted to post this recipe. Maybe someone will want to try it. I got this recipe out of the Cajun Food Bible. Great book.

Seafood Sausage

Ingredients
10 Pounds Ground Pork
7 Pounds Ground Shrimp
3 Pounds Whole Shrimp
1 Cup Minced Pimiento
1 Cup Finely Chopped Parsley
1/2 Cup Old Bay
4 Cups Minced Onions
3/4 Cup Minced Garlic
1/3 Cup Dried Thyme
3 Cups Sliced Green Onions
1/3 Cup Dry Basil
2 Cups Ice Water
60 Feet (38MM) Hog Casing

Place all ingredients, except ice water and hog casing, into a large mixing bowl. After blending with hands for 5 to 10 minutes, add the ice water and continue mixing 5 minutes longer. No salt or pepper is needed in the recipe, because of the Old Bay. Stuff ingredients into 6 Inch Links.

Hey Jeanie, now you got a recipe for all those shrimps you raise!!

Sounds GREAT! :)

Only one question.
Shrimp go from bay shrimp to U 10 (meaning under 10 shrimp per pound)
Given the size of the casing what size shrimp do you normally use?
Any kind of idea on the general count number per pound?

Just curious and THANKS!
V

Wow - shrimp sausage. Given that even the small (70-100 to the pound) shrimp cost $5 a pound. I'd not be making those sort of quantities.

And i'd be inclined to a better shrimp to pork ratio. But yeah, it's certainly one for next summer :-) Or maybe a dark day in winter to cheer me up :-)

Anyone out there done this yet.  I have a friend with a seafood restaurant that wants to try something like this.  Curious as to whether you would do a course or fine grind on the pork and shrimp.  Also what kind of cooking times and IT to shoot for.  Thanks in advance for any info.      Ed

Aloha Ed,

Ive done it before although with a different recipe and it comes out great. I prefer chunky sausage so I do a course grind but have done it with a fine grind as well for others and it comes out great. I don't have pics of the pork hash sausage but here's a pic of some Uhu (parrotfish) sausage that I made along with some portuguese sausage. I cook them the same as any sausage and havent had any problems so far.

Goodluck to you and your buddy and be sure to let us know how it went. Got me going now think im gonna do some pork hash sausage here soon.

Aloha,

Dom

Aloha Leah

Thanks for the compliments.  I am sure youd love it, the trick is keeping it moist and juicy. I used Lup Cheong its a chinese sausage for the fat so it wouldn't dry out. We normally stuff the Uhu and Pulehu it on the grill it comes out great. I dont spearfish as much as I used to but still go out on occasion. I mostly just dive he'e (Octopus) now.

Aloha

Dom

Hi Dom!

Well, as you know, I do love octopus!!!

But these sausages sound really interesting and I have never had parrot fish! What I do love about this site so much is that I learn, every day, something new, and from the fabulous people here!

Thank you for being one of them!

Cheers! - Leah

Aloha Leah

I am planning on trying to make some octopus sausage in the near future will let you know how it turns out. Here's a pic of my brother with a few He'e we got on a short dive we did recently. Sorry for the sideways pic but it wasn't allowing me to rotate it LOL!!!

You would love Uhu (Parrotfish) I'm sure of it. We usually stuff it with lup cheong or bacon, green onion, fish cake, mayonaisse and make slits on each side and lay a piece of bacon in each slit. Then coat with mayonaisse wrap in foil and throw it on the grill. Man it taste great. But I'm really liking the sausage style other's who tried it said it was awesome, They never had fish sausage they looked at me funny when I told them what it was LOL!

As my Dad has often told me once you stop learning you are useless because you think you know everything LOL! Always cracked me up when he said that. I love it here the learning atmosphere is awesome with many helpful people. I can only hope to contribute in some small way.

Aloha

Dom

Good Saturday to you Dom!

So I turned sideways and thus totally relate now to your brother! Smiles. FABULOUS photo and those octopus that he dove for are enormous!!! Love it!

Now octopus sausage would be precisely the kind I'd try!!!

AND, your Pop was a smart man indeed!!! Such very sage and wise advice!!!

More octopus!!!!

Cheers!!!! - Leah

They used it as the stuffing for dumplings, but I could see it being a smaller sausage.  I worked with Philipino's for years and shared recipes.  1-1 pork/shrimp ratio with seasonings, green onions, and garlic is the basis of some of the best tasting stuff I have had.  Not sure I would want a 1" thick sausage full of it and much less smoked at that.

Wanted to post this recipe. Maybe someone will want to try it. I got this recipe out of the Cajun Food Bible. Great book.

Seafood Sausage

Ingredients

10 Pounds Ground Pork

7 Pounds Ground Shrimp

3 Pounds Whole Shrimp

1 Cup Minced Pimiento

1 Cup Finely Chopped Parsley

1/2 Cup Old Bay

4 Cups Minced Onions

3/4 Cup Minced Garlic

1/3 Cup Dried Thyme

3 Cups Sliced Green Onions

1/3 Cup Dry Basil

2 Cups Ice Water

60 Feet (38MM) Hog Casing

Place all ingredients, except ice water and hog casing, into a large mixing bowl. After blending with hands for 5 to 10 minutes, add the ice water and continue mixing 5 minutes longer. No salt or pepper is needed in the recipe, because of the Old Bay. Stuff ingredients into 6 Inch Links.

How did you cook it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky