School me please!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adawg54b

Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I've only been doing smoke for about a year now with some success. I think that my culinary background infused with bbq skills has something to do with it but yesterday I was doing an event, I'm checking my internal temp on my pork butt when a gentleman walks up and says " why you open your smoker to check the temp"( the internal temp of my butts I was smoking) and walks away. That's the second time I've heard that. Can somebody please explain to me how can i check the internal temp without opening the smoker? am I missing somthing here?!!

I've only been doing smoke for about a year now with some success. I think that my culinary background infused with bbq skills has something to do with it but yesterday I was doing an event, I'm checking my internal temp on my pork butt when a gentleman walks up and says " why you open your smoker to check the temp"( the internal temp of my butts I was smoking) and walks away. That's the second time I've heard that. Can somebody please explain to me how can i check the internal temp without opening the smoker? am I missing somthing here?!!
With a digital set of thermometers.

Most of us have a set that has a transmitter with two probes, and a digital receiver. You put the meat probe in the meat, and the smoker probe where you want it, in your smoker. Then you keep the receiver near you. The meat probe will tell the transmitter what the internal temp of your meat is, and the smoker probe will tell the transmitter what the temp of the smoker is at the probe. Then the transmitter will send that to the receiver. When you set your beer down, you can read the temps.

My best ones are my Maverick ET 732. Todd sells them at A-MAZE-N-SMOKER. Click on his business card on the right side of this page.

Bear

Get a Maverick ET732. It has a probe that you will fun thru the opening of the smoker and you can monitor temps without opening the smoker.

Bear,

Thanks for the info much appreciated. Nice to see an fellow Army Vet on here!!

Checked out the thermometers i will get them. WOW!!! using them will cut down on my cook time that i loose from opening up the smoker. I learn something new everytime I'm on here!! Thanks guys!!

Adawg,I'm a little different than the ordinary Smoker;I have 3 therms.at grate level on my cooking chamber and 2 on my warmer. I watch the temp. on those and cook my meat for 1.5hrs./lb. of raw meat,the Butts are bone - in so that's what I use as my therm.for Butts.Briskets I cook by time also ; I'm doing both a Butt and a Brisky tomorrow,well to day(5-23-11) and take pics of my process doing it in this unit:

e17f2e11_Betty003.jpg

I'll be using wood alone(after assisted ignition) and refrain from opening the smoker until the computed time for the Brisky is up...it will be moist,tender and flavorful.

Stay tuned to Oldschool BBQ
drool.gif

As always

ADAWG54B-
 I'm checking my internal temp on my pork butt when a gentleman walks up and says " why you open your smoker to check the temp"( the internal temp of my butts I was smoking) and walks away.  
It's kind of a throw back to the saying "If you're looking-you ain't cooking".  These guys are right about getting a Mavrick ET-732 or two. My old ET-73 finally died so I'm going to upgrade to the 732.

Enjoy the smoke!

Last edited:
Even the cheap $12 probe thermometers are K-Mart work in a pinch. I had two of those when I first started smoking and was saving up to get a couple of better ones. Now I use the old K-Mart ones as my kitchen timers... lol.

Reactions: chefmichael
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky