Scallops With Lemon Beurre Blanc

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Sea scallops were on the menu and I decided to make a lemon beurre blanc sauce to serve with them so let's get this started...

First up is getting the sauce started. Emptied a whole bottle of Chardonnay into a sauce pan along with 2 chopped up shallots and the zest and juice from 1 lemon...
20230102_160520[1].jpg

Bring to a boil and allow it to reduce. This takes about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile I've fried up a pack of bacon for later and cleaned some Brussel sprouts to roast. The sprouts were drizzled with the bacon grease and layered on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with course salt and cracked black pepper and squeeze another whole lemon all over them. Into a 425℉ oven to roast tossing occasionally...
20230102_170942[1].jpg

So while all that was cooking, I brought 6 cups of unsalted chicken broth to a boil. Stirred in 2½ cups of stone ground grits, reduced heat, and let that simmer covered stirring regularly...
20230102_172251[1].jpg

Time to sauté the scallops. A little coarse and pepper into some EVOO with some unsalted butter...
20230102_171317[1].jpg

20230102_173644[1].jpg

Back to the grits. They've been cooking for about 10 minutes or so now time to add heavy cream. Added 2 cups and stirred and let that simmer for a few more minutes until smooth and creamy. Taste for salt and pepper and add as needed...
20230102_173146[1].jpg

The sprouts are ready, tender with a little brown. Crumbled up the bacon and scattered all over and then crumbled Gorgonzola cheese is added all around...
20230102_175605[1].jpg

Time to finish the sauce. It has reduced down to maybe 1 cup or less. Added about 1 cup of heavy cream and let that reduce some more until thick. I had sliced up a stick of butter and had it in the freezer...
20230102_174051[1].jpg

Added the whole stick 1 pat at a time stirring constantly and not allowing the sauce to simmer or boil. Once all is incorporated, remove from heat. Do not allow to boil or the sauce will separate...
20230102_175244[1].jpg

Spoonful of grits with a few scallops and a spoonful of the sauce. Brussel sprouts on the side. Time to eat...
20230102_180152[1].jpg

The Brussel sprout idea came from a restaurant in Bryson City, NC. They serve a similar dish and we loved it so I've tried a couple of times to duplicate it. It is a big hit around here. If this is too much lemon flavor, the sauce can easily be made without the lemon and zest, but the lemon with the Gorgonzola really sets the sprouts apart...

That is just a magnificent meal Charles!! Brussel sprouts are very good done that way and the grits and scallops have my attention. It doesn’t get any better than that!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
That is just a magnificent meal Charles!! Brussel sprouts are very good done that way and the grits and scallops have my attention. It doesn’t get any better than that!
Thank you very much, Joe! The Brussel sprouts are really good and different. We like them about any way they can be cooked, but I know there are many on here that don't care for them. This may be another way to try them...

Last edited:
That is one fine looking plate there Charles, nice work! We just had a house guest who was mentioning something about oven roasted sprouts as a nice change from sautéing or steaming, might have to give it a shot. RAY

Hell Yeah!
There isn't anything on that plate that I don't like, in fact most of rates pretty damned high.
And it all looks excellent!

I'm gonna have to try adding the Bleu cheese to my favorite Brussels sprouts recipe.
Maybe drop the garlic.

That is one fine looking plate there Charles, nice work! We just had a house guest who was mentioning something about oven roasted sprouts as a nice change from sautéing or steaming, might have to give it a shot. RAY
Ray, we love the sprouts and mostly oven roast them with EVOO, salt & pepper, but this is something different that might appeal to those who don't care for them or are looking for something different. I kind of made this up after going online and looking at the restaurant's menu, Nantahala Brewing's Taproom & Burgers + Bar, to see what they had in them. The biggest difference is they deep fry the sprouts. It's turned out pretty good and after making it twice, it has become a fan favorite. Give it a shot and let me know what you think...

Hell Yeah!
There isn't anything on that plate that I don't like, in fact most of rates pretty damned high.
And it all looks excellent!

I'm gonna have to try adding the Bleu cheese to my favorite Brussels sprouts recipe.
Maybe drop the garlic.
Thanks, Chile!! I Love Bleu cheese, my wife not so much, but I'm slowly converting her. I think it would work well in either recipe...

Yes!!!! Scallops, sprouts, grits, and that sauce. What's not to like. That's comfort food to me.
But what I simply can't fathom is all that vacant real estate on the plate, Charles. Mine would have required side boards. :emoji_pig:🐷:emoji_pig:🐷
Gary
Appreciate it, Gary! I had seconds...:emoji_wink:

Looks awesome!

Scallops are a solo thing in our house as Jane doesn't like them but them brussels are a totally different story!

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky