Sauteed Sirloin Tips, Peppers, Onions In Beef Gravy (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Wow...got a bunch of things I'd like to post that I've made recently but don't want to blow the forum up with a ton of stuff and they are all worthy of their own thread. Oh well...gotta start somewhere. This is a 15 minute dinner I did last week that came out really well. It's more of a Southern comfort food dish, but I'm betting not a whole lot of folks take issue with that :emoji_wink: When I got the huge order of top sirloin roasts not long ago and broke them down, I had a lot of trimmings that went into packages for meals like this. This one was done inside because we were getting some much needed rain in the form of a monsoon.

Start with the beef in a skillet, add a hefty dose of fresh minced garlic and a half pound or so of black pepper :emoji_laughing:
001.jpg

Cook that down and add onions, red bell peppers, and a big dollop of butter.
003.jpg

Get the orzo going in a different skillet. Used beef broth for the liquid instead of water. Makes a huge difference in flavor.
004.jpg

Melt the butter and mix in a couple tablespoons of flour
005.jpg

Add a little beef broth to deglaze the skillet
007.jpg

Once that's done, add more beef broth to make the gravy and a touch of BTB beef base. Let simmer on low for a few minutes to thicken up.
008.jpg

While that's going, I cut up a nice salad.
006.jpg

Orzo is all done.
009.jpg

A nice serving of the orzo on the plate, top with the meat and gravy, serve with the salad and garlic toast.
013.jpg

The flavor of this was outstanding...and ya just can't beat homemade gravy (right Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ?) but my only takeaway was that is was somewhat one-dimensional in flavor. Beef broth in the orzo, beef tips, beef broth for the gravy, BTB beef base, and not a lot of different seasonings. In essence, it was all beef, but that may not really be a bad thing :emoji_laughing: Basically the slight salt component came from the beef base and the only other seasonings were garlic and black pepper. Although really good, next time (and there will be a next time) I'll mix things up a bit with different seasonings to create some complexity. All in all though, a really good dinner for a 15 minute effort.

Y'all might be seeing a number of threads from me over the next couple of days. Folders with meal pics are stacking up on the desktop and I need to clear them out. Gonna call this one a wrap though. Y'all take care, stay safe, and I'll see everybody on the next round.

Robert

Looks Great, Robert !!
My Onions could be done longer, but I could handle that.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Beef! It’s what’s for dinner. Very nice meal to break rotation. Another in a long list of your posts on my to do list. Nice work Sir.

Reactions: JLeonard
Love the looks of that! Of course why wouldn't I...it has gravy! Never had orzo before, but believe I did buy some not long ago to try.

Ryan

Ooo, that's comfort and right up my alley. Perfect meal Robert. Definitely bookmark worthy!

Nothing wrong with that plate. Your in Texas....Beef is a food group of its own down there....Right?
Jim

Looks Great, Robert !!
My Onions could be done longer, but I could handle that.
Nice Job!
Very much appreciate it Bear. I know you have issues with under cooked onions, but we like veggies either fresh or at least with some texture to them....and we go through a lot of onions my friend :emoji_laughing:

Robert

That's outstanding looking!

That would go awesome on a good quality sub roll
Thank you very much. The sub sounds like a great idea. you'd need to have a ton of melted Provolone cheese on top though :emoji_wink:

Robert

Beef! It’s what’s for dinner. Very nice meal to break rotation. Another in a long list of your posts on my to do list. Nice work Sir.
We do love our beef...and not just for dinner :emoji_wink: I'd recommend keeping this one in reserve for an evening when time is short but you want a good, filling, and gratifying meal. Of course though, you could do it any time.

Robert

Like said above , nothing wrong with all beef flavors.

Looks real good Robert, and I second the sub roll like normanaj normanaj said
Thanks so much David. Believe me, I've been thinking about the sub roll approach and like the idea. I'd most likely make the gravy a bit thicker though so it's stay on the roll better.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Love the looks of that! Of course why wouldn't I...it has gravy!
Hee hee hee...I thought I'd get your attention with this one :emoji_laughing: Something about pretty much nything in gravy is just better.
Never had orzo before, but believe I did buy some not long ago to try.
The stuff is outstanding!! I'll take orzo over rice any day and it is so much more versatile than rice. I also use it a lot in cold salads or it's great as a side dish all by itself.

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky