Sausage Stuffer Experience with Small Batches

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shooter71

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
Just curious if anyone experimented with making smaller batches of different types of recipes and putting into a stuffer at the same time in layers? I have a 30 lb electric stuffer and like to make 5 lb batches to try different things up and it takes a lot of time bringing up the plunger each time so wondering if you could layer the meat and have it “generally” come out per each batch. I assume this would not work as I image the meat comes from the middle mostly as it goes down so I think this would just mostly mix everything but thought I would ask if anyone tried it?

The 5 pound LEM has served me well for a few thousand pounds

Just curious if anyone experimented with making smaller batches of different types of recipes and putting into a stuffer at the same time in layers? I have a 30 lb electric stuffer and like to make 5 lb batches to try different things up and it takes a lot of time bringing up the plunger each time so wondering if you could layer the meat and have it “generally” come out per each batch. I assume this would not work as I image the meat comes from the middle mostly as it goes down so I think this would just mostly mix everything but thought I would ask if anyone tried it?
I can’t imagine layering different batches would come out that way. They would mix.
better idea is to catch the LEM #5 stuffer on sale. Perfect small stuffer for trying new recipes or for batches up to#15 or so.

Hi there and welcome!

I know for a fact it mixes up. I've kinda done this where the hopper was low or had some left over meat from the previous batch and I was like "screw it lets get this done" and filled the hopper with a different sausage.
The stuff in and above the horn came out as the sausage on the bottom but the rest mixed in for quite a bit of a ways through stuffing. Not a big deal but I could see the difference as the batch on the bottom was a cured sausage and the batch we added on top was not.
I could see pink meat in the casings for a bit but again no big deal in flavor.

Also if you plan on doing 5lb batches I highly suggest you get a 7lb stuffer because a 5 pounder really only fits about 4 pounds in it where a 7 pounder will definitley fit 5 pounds :)

An alternative approach is to ge ta 5 pound stuffer and do batches in 4 pounds.

Life is sane with either of those approaches but mind boggling when u cant fit a whole batch in a single stuffing haha :)

Hi there and welcome!

I know for a fact it mixes up. I've kinda done this where the hopper was low or had some left over meat from the previous batch and I was like "screw it lets get this done" and filled the hopper with a different sausage.
The stuff in and above the horn came out as the sausage on the bottom but the rest mixed in for quite a bit of a ways through stuffing. Not a big deal but I could see the difference as the batch on the bottom was a cured sausage and the batch we added on top was not.
I could see pink meat in the casings for a bit but again no big deal in flavor.
Thanks tallbm - I don’t plan on normally doing 5lb batches just to figure out what recipes I like and once I land on one plan on typically doing 20 lb batches. Your feedback is what I would have expected.

What tallbm said, we found out making batches some with cheese some without. Took quite awhile to push all of the cheese out from first batch after reloading.

Thanks tallbm - I don’t plan on normally doing 5lb batches just to figure out what recipes I like and once I land on one plan on typically doing 20 lb batches. Your feedback is what I would have expected.

Ah cool. FYI, same thing applies if u want to do 20lb batches then make sure you get like a 10Liter stuffer which holds about 21-23 pounds so u can actually do 20 lb batches lol.

If you want to do snack sticks having a little 5 pound stuffer is way easier ot work with because pushing 20lbs of meat through the little snackstick tube is a 2 man job where one better be plenty strong to crank while the other works the sticks/sausage hahah
Hell even doing sausage its a 2 man job where 1 person cranks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky