Sausage in elbow...can you get out into casings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DocShadownix

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
Hey all...

Just wondering what you guys use to get the meat out of the sausage stuffer elbow... I have the Hakka 7lb/3L stuffer and hate that about 1/4-1/3 pound is still in the elbow when the drive bottoms out... does anyone have a method/make something (?rubber compressible marble-sized balls to put on top?) Just wondering... I use the aluminium pucks on the Bradley to not waste smoke pucks, so I was thinking, but I can't figure out how... While I enjoy the large burger I make myself after, I wish I could get that extra 2 or 3 sausages (especially if a dry cured/semi-cured product)...only on my 5th batch of sausage, so kinda a newbie. Thanks for any help!

Brian

What ever I have left is removed manually and hand stuffed into the casing. You could make a plunger of the same ID as the tube on the Stuffer and use it to push out the remainder but I don't think it's worth the time to manufacture it. Plus I would have to get a patent! lol

Wild west..I like the idea of wet bread slices...see, I would have never have thought of that! Great idea.

I have the cabalas commercial stuffer and have this problem especially if I use the snack stick horn that is shaped like a funnel. It drives me nuts that it leaves well over a half pound of seasoned meat. Next time I am going to either try the bread trick or just sacrifice a half+ pound of unseasoned ground beef on top. I can always turn them into burgers afterwards.

I just bought a couple of the stainless sausage tube cleaners from Sausage Maker. Got tired to creating a mess getting the last sausage out of the tube. When I get it all out, I put it in a jerky gun I got from Cabelas some years ago with the round tube on the end and put the partly filled casing over it and get 90% stuffed. I'm done with the mess and having, like you say, a couple big paddies left when my intent was to stuff everything.
stuffer.jpg

I second the Bread, works great in your Grinder too...JJ

Reactions: DocShadownix
Thanks all for the comments! Gonna try the bread trick today when I make some snack sticks... Oh and as for cleaning the sausage stuffing tubes, I have not bought any tools for that yet, but I find that chopsticks work great....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky