sausage filling recipe?

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by andymiddle, Apr 22, 2015.

1. andymiddle

andymiddle Newbie

UK
    Has anyone got a recipe for a nice pork sausage filling that will have a smokey taste before I smoke them. I am smoking sausages but they seem to be lacking a deep rich smoke taste.

2. The only thing I could think of to add would be maybe bacon.  Or maybe even a little liquid smoke.  Sorry nothing else I can suggest.

3. ssbaldy

ssbaldy Fire Starter

How about smoking some Kosher salt and substituting that in your recipe. Also, I have re-smoked bacon for eating (wonderful!); maybe try using that in your sausage mix (after cooling, of course)

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

AM, Are you drying your sausage for an hour or so at around 120 with the vents wide open? Sausage needs to be dry for smoke to adhere to it .

5. andymiddle

andymiddle Newbie

UK
    Can they air dry?

6. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Yes, hang until dry. Are we talking cured sausage here?

7. andymiddle

andymiddle Newbie

UK
    freshly made and straight forward in the smoker.

8. timberjet

Yeah it will help the smoke to take better if you start out at 120 with no smoke for the first hour to dry the casings. I take it you are hot smoking as it is fresh uncured sausage. There are tons of great recipes on this website if you look around.

9. andymiddle

andymiddle Newbie

UK
    Ok thanks.

10. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you smoke the fresh sausage for more than an hour or so, I recommend adding cure #1 to the mix..... And you can dry the casings in front of a fan, while they are on wire racks.....

11. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

DITTO!

12. andymiddle

andymiddle Newbie

UK
    Thank you guys I will try it and let you know how they turn out.

13. timberjet

One note on cure. It does add something like depth of flavor as well as adding some measure of safety to the process. It might be just what you are looking for.