Sauerbraten

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Sauerbraten, kraut and semmel knoedel.

20230204_182810.jpg

Man that is fire right there. Love those dumplings. When I lived in Germany when I was young my dad's friend married a german lady and we were stationed all over the us with them after that. She knew her way around the kitchen

Last edited:
Reactions: bill ace 350
Yup, plate please! This looks superb! I prefer Kartoffelklöße over semmel knoedel. But either are perfect for Sauerbraten. My wife is German. Met her while I stationed there. We just had our 36 year anniversary. And she can cook!! Though. She would say, ""kein Sauerkraut mit Sauerbraten!" She'd have egg noodles or spätzle with hers. Or Rotkohl. Which I also really like.

Thanks everyone!

Another basic German meal, easy too make.

Steve H, unfortunately, Rotkohl only agrees with me in very small portions, so I stick with kraut.

Now, i will throw this out there and duck until the flak stops -

A quick, excellent German Potato Salad can be found in a can.

Check out Reads German Potato Salad.

Absolutely not as good as can be made from scratch, but very, very good. i use when crunched for time.

On a side note, I'm lucky the Commissary has a decent German section, and some great European Markets in Syracuse.

Anyway, thinking of my next German style meal.

Reactions: Steve H
Man that is fire right there. Love those dumplings. When I lived in Germany when I was young my dad's friend married a german lady and we were stationed all over the us with them after that. She knew her way around the kitchen
I miss Germany....

A meal from heaven. I also love the dumplings.
I met a girl in the Army. We were both at the Defense Language Institute.

She was learning Russian, I was learning Polish.

Her mom was German, and published a German cookbook.

Her Semmel Knoedel recipe is the best!

I

I loved canned. One of the few things in a can that reall good. I looking threw my sauerbraten recipes this morning. Seems like I all ways go back to Alton Brown's recipe.
I use red wine vinegar and red wine, garlic, onion and peppercorns for the marinade.

I brown the roast, put it in a dutch oven, add the marinade, cover and put in oven at 325 for about 75 minutes.

After that, i thicken the marinade and cook for another 30 to 45 minutes.

Some people thicken with gingersnap cookies or pumpernickel bread crumbs.

I used some stale pumpernickel and ground it to a powder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky