Sandblasting the ceramic coating off my griddle? lol

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HogJaw&PossumGrits

Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
My griddle finish is getting a little long in the tooth. Although the ceramic coating is ok, to me the overall griddle would be perfect without it, as I prefer a regular steel griddle. I just like using metal utensils better than I like my ceramic coating so Im only left with a couple options here. I am going back to metal spatulas and I am done with plastic and wood utensils. With that said.....I either get rid of the Pittboss for another brand unit, OR, I can try to sandblast the coating off and use it as a regular steel griddle. I like this idea better, because I love the rest of the griddle. Has anyone else done this? It would also be nice if Pittboss would sell the griddle without the coating for us guys that dont care for the ceramic.

Do you know if it's a true ceramic, like an enamel, or is it a "ceramic non-stick"coating?
If you are supposed to avoid metal, I bet it's non-stick. In that case it'll come off it you look at it wrong and I bet sand blast is a good way to go.
If it's ceramic, I suspect it's going to be very hard to remove. I wonder if a pneumatic chisel/scraper would effectively chip it off?
Maybe a grinder with the flapper disk would work?
Ask this said, I'm an armchair expert here, some minor understanding of material, but never tried to remove a coating like this, lol. 🤣
Maybe someone with real experience will chime in.

If it is truly ceramic sand blasting probably wont work well, it's a very hard coating and the sand blaster nozzle is also ceramic for a reason. it will wear out but might take a few thousand lbs of sand . I would have a new 1 made over trying to clear it off, a grinding wheel would work better than SB imo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky