Salt % in Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nawlinsborn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
Do you have a tried and true salt percentage when making whole-meat jerky? Is it similar to sausage, where one would typically use between 1.5% to 2% salt?

I want to create a recipe that is repeatable regardless of how much meat I'm using.

Do not recall seeing any weight based formulas for jerky here but there ought to be! Lots of guys into the soy/SS style. Not me. I do not run jerky often but when I do I use Owens BBQ mixes. FANTASTIC stuff. That said, yeah I think it's like sausage like you say. Might get a little more complicated if using other ingredients that contain salt/sodium like soy or WS sauce.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Do not recall seeing any weight based formulas for jerky here but there ought to be! Lots of guys into the soy/SS style. Not me. I do not run jerky often but when I do I use Owens BBQ mixes. FANTASTIC stuff. That said, yeah I think it's like sausage like you say. Might get a little more complicated if using other ingredients that contain salt/sodium like soy or WS sauce.
I love soy sauce, but I don't like to use it in jerky. I usually do a dry cure/brine when I make jerky. Maybe I'll try 2% and go from there

Reactions: zwiller
I love soy sauce, but I don't like to use it in jerky. I usually do a dry cure/brine when I make jerky. Maybe I'll try 2% and go from there
Same here. My Dad made jerky a long time and did the soy/WS. Most all of it was too salty. A few times he nailed it but was always hit or miss. 2% is what I'd do. Then bunch of black pepper and garlic LOL.

Just remember that with jerky you are drying the product, so if you apply 2% salt by weight, that will increase my the amount of weight loss. This means jerky meat marinated in a 2% salt solution will end up in the 2.5-3% range. All depends on how much drying but salt concentration increases with water weight loss.

Reactions: zwiller
Just remember that with jerky you are drying the product, so if you apply 2% salt by weight, that will increase my the amount of weight loss. This means jerky meat marinated in a 2% salt solution will end up in the 2.5-3% range. All depends on how much drying but salt concentration increases with water weight loss.
That makes sense. Now I'm rethinking this

FatMiewChef blog has a great sodium-to-salt calculator. I like soy/ws but struggled with consistency. His calculator ensures repeatability regardless of the meat weight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky