Salt brine-wet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tiburon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 19, 2019
Anyone heard about you should add some sugar to activate the salt? Wife said this "News" to us came from All Recipies(sp). What is your take on this or did you already know it. I'm a little slow sometimes!

Unless you can define what activate means in this context, it sounds like bunk to me.

I like. Thanks for clearing that up for me, makes since, I might try it to see. Love the brownsugar brine mix idea. Thanks again fellow smokers.

When adding an acid, like Ascorbic acid, it MUST be added ONLY when injected... In a brine bucket curing solution, acid degrades the nitrite while in the bucket and does NO GOOD for the meat...

When adding an acid, like Ascorbic acid, it MUST be added ONLY when injected... In a brine bucket curing solution, acid degrades the nitrite while in the bucket and does NO GOOD for the meat...
Dave-
I've seen you post that before, but I haven't read that caution in the curing literature I've collected. In fact, I have a number of recipes that recommend adding citrus or vinegar for flavoring.
Was I given bad information?

YES !!! Ascorbic acid and other acids, break down nitrite to nitrouse oxide (or something like that).... Which MUST be released inside the meat... The acid treatment is intended for use in commercial processors where they don't have the time, or the time makes it too expensive to cure meat... (lack of space to store meats for several days or weeks)
Personally, I have no idea why home processors would use an accelerator like acid when curing...
Inject your meat to reduce the penetration time...
When making sausage, a thorough mix of cure into the ground meat, only takes about 24-36 hours for a thorough cure...
Adding acids to meat, dissolves the meat tissue also... Turning the meat to mush... Destroys the texture if not done correctly... Adding ECA is one example...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky