Rust on smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Light a fire in it And get the primer seasoned and start cooking on it. Realize you will have rust pop up in the future. It is a 100% with a steel smoker but just do what Al said and wipe it down and then it won’t grow or cause a problem.

It’s what happens on the inside is what’s most important over a textured outside finish.

I think it looks fine . Use it , and keep it cleaned out when not in use . I got rid of mine , but if I still had it I would go the cooking spray route .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Since you're going to garage the smoker between cooks, you've already won half the rust battle right there.
Too bad the original owner didn't do that or at least kept the smoker "oiled" and covered.

Reactions: Laxdfns
Just as an update, thought I'd post where I'm at now. The firebox has about 5 coats of primer along with the barrel, and the vertical has about 4.

Friday I'm going to get the internal temp of the horizontal barrel to 150 or less and cold smoke pork belly that's been curing.

Then, should I do a 200/400 degree burn to harden it before black paint, or black paint, cure, burn to harden?

Attachments

• 20200929_151848.jpg
    20200929_151848.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200929_151907.jpg
    20200929_151907.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200929_151832.jpg
    20200929_151832.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200929_151802.jpg
    20200929_151802.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200929_151938.jpg
    20200929_151938.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200929_152014.jpg
    20200929_152014.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 11
Light a fire in it And get the primer seasoned and start cooking on it. Realize you will have rust pop up in the future. It is a 100% with a steel smoker but just do what Al said and wipe it down and then it won’t grow or cause a problem.

It’s what happens on the inside is what’s most important over a textured outside finish.
100% agree, so with that said, it's my understanding you dont paint the inside of the firebox and grill area, full stop. I know you season the grill areas, anything recommended for interior firebox treatment?

100% agree, so with that said, it's my understanding you dont paint the inside of the firebox and grill area, full stop. I know you season the grill areas, anything recommended for interior firebox treatment?

Nothing special for the fire box. It will get some rust in it, usually at the bottom if you have an elevated fire grate, you can oil it but it will burn off quick so I just keep mine clean and dry. If its going to be a long time between uses then the oil works well. Remember just a little and wipe it as dry as you can after.

When you season the inside, a little oil goes a long ways. Ie if you spray it down use a old t-shirt and wipe it as dry as you can before you season. Its basically just like a cast iron pan. Excess oil will burn and cause build up. Oh I season the grills and the whole inside, basically any place food could touch.

Last edited:
Nothing special for the fire box. It will get some rust in it, usually at the bottom if you have an elevated fire grate, you can oil it but it will burn off quick so I just keep mine clean and dry. If its going to be a long time between uses then the oil works well. Remember just a little and wipe it as dry as you can after.

When you season the inside, a little oil goes a long ways. Ie if you spray it down use a old t-shirt and wipe it as dry as you can before you season. Its basically just like a cast iron pan. Excess oil will burn and cause build up. Oh I season the grills and the whole inside, basically any place food could touch.
So I cold smoked the pork belly/baccon for 8 hours today and this happened. I realize it's not rust or anything, just "smoke stain" but my question is what do I do with it? Just paint over it? Scrub it off with something?

Attachments

• 20201002_170248.jpg
    20201002_170248.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201002_150635.jpg
    20201002_150635.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201002_170239.jpg
    20201002_170239.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 14
So I cold smoked the pork belly/baccon for 8 hours today and this happened. I realize it's not rust or anything, just "smoke stain" but my question is what do I do with it? Just paint over it? Scrub it off with something?

I would just lightly hit it with a fine scotch bright and then wipe the whole thing down prior to paint to make sure no grease. I would get it painted as soon as you can to reduce the chance of the primer getting "dirty" and the paint not stick good. Oh and once painted those spots are call seasoning and proof you use it!

Edit, those spots around the fire box will probably be the first place the paint and primer get worn out and this is were the oil seasoning will come into play in the future.......

I would get it painted as soon as you can to reduce the chance of the primer getting "dirty" and the paint not stick good. Oh and once painted those spots are call seasoning and proof you use it!
I was going to say " That's part of it " , then realized he didn't have it painted yet .
Clean it up and get the paint on it . The stuff that sticks around the lid will seal the gaps over time .
Enjoy it . That's a nice smoker .

I would just lightly hit it with a fine scotch bright and then wipe the whole thing down prior to paint to make sure no grease. I would get it painted as soon as you can to reduce the chance of the primer getting "dirty" and the paint not stick good. Oh and once painted those spots are call seasoning and proof you use it!

Edit, those spots around the fire box will probably be the first place the paint and primer get worn out and this is were the oil seasoning will come into play in the future.......
So on my old OKJ hyland I didnt really have those 'smoke stains' because I had gaskets around the lid of the chamber and box. Is that worth doing here too, or at that point am I just babying it?

Also, do you guys typically spray it down on the back end of the cook or at the start as its heating up?

So on my old OKJ hyland I didnt really have those 'smoke stains' because I had gaskets around the lid of the chamber and box. Is that worth doing here too, or at that point am I just babying it?

Also, do you guys typically spray it down on the back end of the cook or at the start as its heating up?

Smoke stains wouldn't even catch my eye at all. Just get some paint on it and start using it. After a cook (usually the next day when its cold) I scrape the solid grease out and wipe it down so it doesn't sit inside and go nasty.....When I do a cook, I heat it up to 300 ish then put a couple of cups of water on the revers flow pan and steam the inside....Then after wiping the grate on goes the goodies....

Reactions: chopsaw and Laxdfns
The first coat of 2000* rustoleum paint is on, and the smoker looks like ass lol. Pray to the bbq gods it looks better with the 2nd and 3rd coats...

Thanks for bearing with me through this all so far.

I realized I had never put gasket on a Tejas square style firebox to prevent the smoke staining, and as such, not sure where best to put the gasket. Would you do yellow (inner ridge of lid), red(outer ridge of the "square" or white (laid flat against the firebox so the lid closes and rests on it), or something else entirely?

Attachments

• received_335831797510152.jpeg
    received_335831797510152.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 16
The first coat of 2000* rustoleum paint is on, and the smoker looks like ass lol. Pray to the bbq gods it looks better with the 2nd and 3rd coats...

Thanks for bearing with me through this all so far.

I realized I had never put gasket on a Tejas square style firebox to prevent the smoke staining, and as such, not sure where best to put the gasket. Would you do yellow (inner ridge of lid), red(outer ridge of the "square" or white (laid flat against the firebox so the lid closes and rests on it), or something else entirely?

If you really want to have a gasket then the best place is were it will stay put and not be a headache. None of my smokers have gaskets cause I HATE dealing with loose gaskets!

Reactions: chopsaw
So what am I doing wrong? The smoker now has 2 coats and it stil looks streaky and barely covered. Granted it's not fully cured (photos taken about 5 hours after the most recent coat applied) but I'm starting to get frustrated.

Attachments

• 20201007_193330.jpg
    20201007_193330.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201007_193337.jpg
    20201007_193337.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201007_193401.jpg
    20201007_193401.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201007_193335.jpg
    20201007_193335.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 15
So what am I doing wrong? The smoker now has 2 coats and it stil looks streaky and barely covered. Granted it's not fully cured (photos taken about 5 hours after the most recent coat applied) but I'm starting to get frustrated.

Its really hard to see or judge via the pics. I've only used that 2000 degree stuff on car parts and but I know it won't give the nice smooth glossy look like the 1200 deg BBQ stuff will. My only thought is make sure the can is shaken really really really, I mean REALLY good before spraying and second it could be too lean of a coat. Try a thicker test coat (on something else) after you have shaken that can for like 10 mins....and don't stop shaking the can while spraying........ie spray a little and shake, but keep spraying enough to keep a wet edge. If the edge dries you will get streaks......

Good Luck...

Its really hard to see or judge via the pics. I've only used that 2000 degree stuff on car parts and but I know it won't give the nice smooth glossy look like the 1200 deg BBQ stuff will. My only thought is make sure the can is shaken really really really, I mean REALLY good before spraying and second it could be too lean of a coat. Try a thicker test coat (on something else) after you have shaken that can for like 10 mins....and don't stop shaking the can while spraying........ie spray a little and shake, but keep spraying enough to keep a wet edge. If the edge dries you will get streaks......

Good Luck...
Thanks, I'll give the 10 minute shake plan a go, had been doing 3-4 minutes. One thing I noticed, especially when the can is closer to empty that if I shake it, paint flies out and gets all over.

And I know it wont be semi gloss black, but I expected it to not be chalky grey black. Maybe its just the lighting, I'll check back tomorrow. If it still looks like ass, any harm in doing a final coat with the 1200 stuff instead?

Thanks, I'll give the 10 minute shake plan a go, had been doing 3-4 minutes. One thing I noticed, especially when the can is closer to empty that if I shake it, paint flies out and gets all over.

And I know it wont be semi gloss black, but I expected it to not be chalky grey black. Maybe its just the lighting, I'll check back tomorrow. If it still looks like ass, any harm in doing a final coat with the 1200 stuff instead?

I think other forum members have put the bbq stuff over the high temp with success. But with multiple coats of primer then paint I’d be worried about the amount of paint build up.....

I would put your 3rd coat on then cure it and start using it. If it is still streaky, just name it the gray tiger cause is slays meat....it will be the best joke of the party as you share pics and people will believe it when they eat the meat is has slayed!!!! In my book there are two thing that are important with a smoker..... #1 - it is clean (I mean bacteria clean) and #2 the smoked stuff tasted good!!!! All the other stuff is not important!

For example, the X-Fire is pretty rough on the outside......no paint and even a fair amount of rust streaks.....heck it doesn’t even have door handles or latches......
A12974A3-0AE6-4D63-B3C2-C23119AE6C73.jpeg

But is all warm and fuzzy inside.....Clean and properly seasoned...
5ABA00D5-C8F5-44E7-B389-0F9E4220A387.jpeg

Which causes warm and fuzzy on the outside ......
FF7597C0-FCCA-41AC-8B01-909EA414261A.jpeg

I guess what I’m saying is you have a very nice smoker and the paint job won’t take from the enjoyment you can have from it.....

I think other forum members have put the bbq stuff over the high temp with success. But with multiple coats of primer then paint I’d be worried about the amount of paint build up.....

I would put your 3rd coat on then cure it and start using it. If it is still streaky, just name it the gray tiger cause is slays meat....it will be the best joke of the party as you share pics and people will believe it when they eat the meat is has slayed!!!! In my book there are two thing that are important with a smoker..... #1 - it is clean (I mean bacteria clean) and #2 the smoked stuff tasted good!!!! All the other stuff is not important!

For example, the X-Fire is pretty rough on the outside......no paint and even a fair amount of rust streaks.....heck it doesn’t even have door handles or latches......
View attachment 466013
But is all warm and fuzzy inside.....Clean and properly seasoned...
View attachment 466037
Which causes warm and fuzzy on the outside ......
View attachment 466038

I guess what I’m saying is you have a very nice smoker and the paint job won’t take from the enjoyment you can have from it.....
Well the good news is it was mostly lighting/setting time. Still streaky in parts but I think the 3rd coat will remedy it more still.

To that end, i have also resigned that this is going to be a 10 ft restoration project (looks great at 10 ft but blemishes up close) just due to things like errant paint splatters when trying to shake the can etc. Your last post really put it into perspective, I had been so enamored with the idea of a total restoration to get a like new look that I never really considered that isnt what's needed, nor is the point for good bbq.

And as you said, it really is a good smoker, so I guess I'll shift to what's actually important and ask what you do to keep your inside so clean and well maintained?

Attachments

• 20201008_072822.jpg
    20201008_072822.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201008_072828.jpg
    20201008_072828.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201008_072750.jpg
    20201008_072750.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201008_072759.jpg
    20201008_072759.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 11
I'd say it looks pretty good. Even new smokers break in and don't look new but used after a few cooks!

Now since you asked about the inside. This is were you might curse me, initially at first......In one of your pics I could see a little bit of the inside of the vertical...
BBQ-Inside.PNG

So the trick to keeping a good and clean BBQ inside is starting with a good base. This is just me, but that is clean "bare" steal which is then properly seasoned. After this it is pretty simple.

So my suggest would be to clear your Saturday and get 2 or 3 drill based gator wheels, new wire brushes and some good dust masks (N95s would be best), gloves, face shield and arm and belly protection and then clean the inside down to clean metal You will have pits and such that you won't be able to get clean but don't work about that, just get the bulk of it as bare as you can. This includes the grates as well. Once its all bare metal, vacuum any dust out and wash it down with a stiff brush and hot water with dish soap and hose it clean and wipe it dry with an old t-shirt or something like that. Now you are ready to season it. I like to use canola or grape seed oil. You can buy spray canola oil to make it easier, ie just put a light spray over everything and use and old t-shirt to wipe as much of the excess off as you can. Then build a fire with lots of coals and keep it over 350 for at least an hour and then let it cool. Now it is clean and you are ready to cook.

Now the each time to keep it clean
So after each cook (and after I've eat usually) while it is still warm I use a SS wire brush to brush all the grates to knock any stuck food. Then once it has cooled (the next day or two) I use a large stiff spatula to scrape and grease of the base (I have a reverse flow plate you will just have the tuning plates, if you have them) to get any grease or food remainders cleaned (this stuff doesn't taste good when burnt).

Then when I go to use it again, I heat it up to about 300 and spray the inside down with a spray bottle to steam clean it and I also dump some water on the plate and close the door. After all the steam is gone, I wipe down the grates and were food may touch with a rag and its good to go for food.
SteamClean.jpg

It sounds like a lot of work but its really not and it keeps your cooks much better, because as I said above burned grease and old food does NOT create good smoke, and in fact if you have old grease in the smoker and your smoker gets above 350 and it starts smoking it will most likely ruin your meat in very short order..... IE high temp cook tip....if you are doing a cook above 350 make sure the inside is clean and you pre-heat above 350 and burn out any remaining oil/grease before putting the meat on on or it will taint it.

Hope this helps......

Last edited:
I'd say it looks pretty good. Even new smokers break in and don't look new but used after a few cooks!

Now since you asked about the inside. This is were you might curse me, initially at first......In one of your pics I could see a little bit of the inside of the vertical...
View attachment 466054
So the trick to keeping a good and clean BBQ inside is starting with a good base. This is just me, but that is clean "bare" steal which is then properly seasoned. After this it is pretty simple.

So my suggest would be to clear your Saturday and get 2 or 3 drill based gator wheels, new wire brushes and some good dust masks (N95s would be best), gloves, face shield and arm and belly protection and then clean the inside down to clean metal You will have pits and such that you won't be able to get clean but don't work about that, just get the bulk of it as bare as you can. This includes the grates as well. Once its all bare metal, vacuum any dust out and wash it down with a stiff brush and hot water with dish shop and hose it clean and wipe it dry with an old t-shirt or something like that. Now you are ready to season it. I like to use canola or grape see oil. You can buy spray canola oil to make it easier, ie just put a light spray over everything and use and old t-shirt to wipe as much of the excess off as you can. Then build a fire with lots of coals and keep it over 350 for at least an hour and then let it cool. Now it is clean and you are ready to cook.

So after each cook (and after I've eat usually) while it is still warm I use a SS wire brush to brush all the grates to knock any stuck food. Then once it has cooled (the next day or two) I use a large stiff spatula to scrape and grease of the base (I have a reverse flow plate you will just have the tuning plates, if you have them) to get any grease or food remainders cleaned (this stuff doesn't taste good when burnt).

Then when I go to use it again, I heat it up to about 300 and spray the inside down with a spray bottle to steam clean it and I also dump some water on the plate and close the door. After all the steam is gone, I wipe down the grates and were food may touch with a rag and its good to go for food.
View attachment 466053
It sounds like a lot of work but its really not and it keeps your cooks much better, because as I said above burned grease and old food does NOT create good smoke, and in fact if you have old grease in the smoker and your smoker gets above 350 and it starts smoking it will most likely ruin your meat in very short order..... IE high temp cook tip....if you are doing a cook above 350 make sure the inside is clean and you pre-heat above 350 and burn out any remaining oil/grease before putting the meat on on or it will taint it.

Hope this helps......

View attachment 466054

So my suggest would be to clear your Saturday and get 2 or 3 drill based gator wheels, new wire brushes and some good dust masks (N95s would be best), gloves, face shield and arm and belly protection and then clean the inside down to clean metal You will have pits and such that you won't be able to get clean but don't work about that, just get the bulk of it as bare as you can. This includes the grates as well. Once its all bare metal, vacuum any dust out and wash it down with a stiff brush and hot water with dish soap and hose it clean and wipe it dry with an old t-shirt or something like that. Now you are ready to season it. I like to use canola or grape seed oil. You can buy spray canola oil to make it easier, ie just put a light spray over everything and use and old t-shirt to wipe as much of the excess off as you can. Then build a fire with lots of coals and keep it over 350 for at least an hour and then let it cool. Now it is clean and you are ready to cook.

View attachment 466053

Hope this helps......
When you started by saying "take it down to the metal" my stomach dropped lol. This is me 100% being lazy, but I think im going to stick to just scraping it all and washing it well. But 100% should have done insides first, just wasnt thinking/was excited to fix the outside. The spraying it each time with canola i will be doing on the inside.

One thing Im not quite clear/sure on is the exterior with canola oil-coat the whole thing? Reason I ask is because the vertical end farthest from the box will likely not get hot enough to have it cure properly and will be "sticky" whereas the firebox will be burning up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky