Rudys BBQ Review W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
I had a taste for some pulled pork and decided to give them a try. In 12 years I never tried them. In fact in 12 years I haven't tried any BBQ joint here.

Some TBS going on.

Sorry the pics are not good.

Nice portion 1/3 pound sammie. $4.19 not too bad if it is any good. Slaw was $1.99 ouch.

The texture was a bit weird and don't know how to describe it. I couldn't taste any smokieness at all and I never use sauce on mine at home. I did here, and some salt to boot. I guess I am spoiled with my method of using the smoky aujus added back to the meat.

I won't be going back since $6.50 would have bought me a nice butt and the enjoyment of smoking my own and would have gotten me at least 10-12 sammies from it. Oh well at least I can say I tried it.

Everything is served on waxed paper and the seating is at long picnic tables with 55 gal drums for the garbage.

I wonder if they just use the wood for the heat or do they really smoke their meat. If they do they could use some help.
icon_wink.gif
icon_confused.gif

They have 15 locations around Texas and a few here.

http://rudys.com/default.aspx You can see their menu and prices here.

I am double smoking a chicken as we speak for pulled chicken tonight with the smokie aujus.

I like Rudy's... I like to put their BBQ sauce on my pulled pork.

Since i've been smoking my own stuff recently I haven't been buying their meat, but I still go in to get their sauce and creamed corn.... the creamed corn is AWESOME.

Yeah, since I started smoking a few years ago, it has totally ruined the BBQ restaurant experience for me. I eat BBQ out a whole lot less now, especially ribs.
Hazard of the ART I guess!

I have to agree. Ever since I started getting serious about making good Q, I have yet to find a 'raunt anywhere that I prefer. Cooper's in Llano comes the closest. Rudy's has never been a favorite of mine, but I'll give you one thing - they have the best creamed corn on the PLANET.

Hmmm, they must have something good there, since they have "razor-wire" up, to keep people out.

Bearcarver

If only I could take you back...

Twenty-five or more years ago, there was a little corner place called the Leon Springs Cafe. They had great food of many kinds, a great old atmosphere (used to be the grandpa's gas station), and live music several nights a week. As a matter of fact, many people who are well-known national acts used to play there when they were starting out. Man, I miss that place...

Anyway, fast forwarding. Rudy's appears as a BBQ place and kills the Cafe, and food available in Leon Springs hasn't been good since. It's an abomination.

Of course, it may just be that I am opinionated!

It's a fair place on a good day . You must pay if you want lean ( comes dry ) In Texas there are some really good "Q" joints but Rudy's is all hype without any substance . They have decent smoked turkey due to them injecting it with pepper . Where next Ron ?

My patio I guess.
icon_wink.gif

How are you doing Ron? And why on God's green earth are you at some BBQ joint taking the pics? Did you clear this with doc? Obviously you are feeling better.

Okay, now that the real important stuff is out of the way, I have a few things to say about "Rudy's." Now, when you walked in the door & did not smell smoke, you should have ran the other way. In the pic with the pulled pork, there is absolutely no smoke ring at all. That was a giant hint to run. Also, they're using "55 Gallon Drums" as "Garbage cans." Dude!!! If they can't make plenty of UDS out of those puppies & get some real TBS going, then don't even stick around for the menu. And the menu!! Okay, I guess there is a reason I have not walked into a BBQ joint in two months. The best love you can get is at home. Stick with those chickens & post that qview if ya like but keep your butt at home.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Feel better man!!!
icon_cool.gif

I'm with ya on them......not impressed too much. Do like their smoked turkey though. Their sides are pretty good but way too much $$$$.
I'm still a fan of Salt Lick here in the Austin area. But even now they seem to be off the mark with Q.
There is a place here in Kyle, Texas called Milt's.......very good beef & turkey (expensive as is every place if you ask me). Haven't tried his chicken, hear its good, but is always sold out.
I'm like everyone here.for the price of a plate....we could buy a whole slabe of meat, coals, & have money left over.
By the way, me & my family maybe eat out once every 3 months or longer & then its a buffet.

I haven't ate any bbq from a bbq restaurant in years. Now I have gone to one a couple of times because of the guys at work don't get mine as much as I do so I have to go. I always order a salad.

I am and thanks for the reprimand, I feel fine except for some pain.

rudy's que is what you should expect @ a Q-chain. the buttermilk pie on the other hand...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
, but it sadly is WAY over priced. i gotta see if the soul food place (Ms. Vicky's) still sells whole deserts....that's right i NEED a WHOLE buttermilk pie please Ms. Vicky...you know what...make that two.

Ron, glad to see that you are feeling well enough to be out and about.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Ma Dutch and me went to Snizzler's the other night only cus Ma had a coupon and loves their Malibu Chicken and I like the salad bar. I've given up on trying to order a decent steak from the place. . .anyhoo we decided to get there early to avoid the rush and found ourselfs waiting in a line-a real long line. To help speed things up, the Manager was walking down the line handing out menus and talking to folks about the specials.

I already knew what I wanted and wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying. The part that I did hear that left a big ol' grin on my face was, "We also have a special on our half rack of baby back ribs that are 'fall off the bone tender'". Ma pipes in with "Fall off the bone tender?-those ribs are over cooked then". The poor manager was left speachless. Man I love an edjumacated woman!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky