RT sizes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clubmanager

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 19, 2020
Hi, from what I’m reading it seems RT is a solid choice for my needs/wants. Unsure which size is best; usually cook for 4 people, want enough space for 2 briskets; if I’m gonna cook 1, May as well cook 2 and the last one disappeared rather quickly. I have an upright electric currently and I had to separate the brisket to make it work….and the temp reading in the thing is all over the place.
Time to upgrade!
Seems the 1250 might be best?

Last edited:
Actually, I'll amend this to say I'm going to look at other brands as well (so ready to hear recommendations) but all in all as it relates to size, I'd like to cook 2 briskets either side by side or via racks.

Best idea is to get the largest your budget can afford short of a truck hauling' commercial unit. You can always smoke less in a large smoker but cannot smoke more in a small smoker. There may come a time when you might want/need to smoke 3 or 4 briskets, or 6 butts, at same time like for a special event.

Agree with old sarge old sarge I bought the RT700 and usually run it pretty full. Had it several years now and added the large shelf for making jerky and as needed. Love RT! I would go as big as your budget.

I usually buy small, but wanted to have a rack so I got the RT 1250. It is usually very empty, but one day I had the idea to smoke 6 pork shanks and was I ever so glad I got the 1250 over the 700.

Reactions: schlotz
if you have the space to store it, a little bigger never hurts. rectek is good, but will also encourage you to check out what campchef has to offer. Jeff, the site owner, is going to be doing some cooks on their new model that just out came out that has the ability to add wood chunks to the smoke of the pellet grill.

Last edited:
I'm actually leaving for Europe and gone for 2 weeks so will decide when we return. Have to admit that camp chef sounds intriguing so will probably wait for Jeff's reporting on performance. thanks y'all.

I have the RT-700 with internal shelf making the surface equivalent to the RT-1250. I also have the cold smoke box on the side and use the Bullseye for searing. I cook for anywhere from 2 to 12 people and have no trouble doing that. I reviewed all the pellet smokers in the same price range before purchase, selected Recteq and am very happy with them. I've not purchased any of the others, so I don't have a frame of reference other than friends that have Traeger and Pit Boss. I have much less trouble with mine than they do. I have two friends that have a Yoder and a Cookshack and they're quite happy with them, although they are quite a bit more expensive.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky