Rookie setup question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

englishsmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
So I have an ironwood 650, and on recs from here got an Inkbird irf4s. One of the probes doesn’t have a point, so my sharp-as-a-hammer mind says that should be the one for smoker temp, instead of relying on the one in the smoker that everyone says isn’t accurate. Would this be a good place to set that up?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 11
Personally I moved mine around the first few cooks I did to find the "hot spot". I leave it there so I know what the hottest temp in the chamber is. Just how I do it.

I find a spot on the grate after the meat is on about 1 to 2" away from the meat.

Welcome to the site, I put it at grate level in the center , a biscuit test or put the leads in different area's to see where hot spots are, every smoker is different

I place right next to the meat on my offset, that's where I want to know what the temp is. RAY
DSCN1438.JPG
DSCN1438.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky